What size speaker wiring do you prefer?

I'm going to run 100X2 rms @ 4 ohms to a component set, and 2k to a pair of subs. (Note: the length of the wiring isn't a very far run at all, maybe 8-10 ft worse case scenario to the components & 3-5 ft to the subs worse case). I've been hung up on this for a while, If I have to get two different gauges of wiring it'll end up costing more. Or If I went down the middle with more wiring of a larger gauge on use it on both setups to be more cost effective. But if I have to I'll spend the extra $ and get the correct wiring sizes for the speakers and subs. Thanks in advance.

its always better to buy the spool

small spools of ofc wire can be had for $5-$10 for that power 16 gauge or 14 gauge wire would work

sub will work with 10-12 gauge

its always better to buy the spool

small spools of ofc wire can be had for $5-$10 for that power 16 gauge or 14 gauge wire would work

sub will work with 10-12 gauge

i always buy the spools , extra will always get used up somewhere in the future.

With AC current (speakers), the important part is the final nominal impedance of the speakers the wire is driving. lower driver impedance calls for thicker wire. 12-14awg is fine for 2-4 ohms up to 20 feet for mids/highs.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

I'm going to run 100X2 rms @ 4 ohms to a component set, and 2k to a pair of subs. (Note: the length of the wiring isn't a very far run at all, maybe 8-10 ft worse case scenario to the components & 3-5 ft to the subs worse case). I've been hung up on this for a while, If I have to get two different gauges of wiring it'll end up costing more. Or If I went down the middle with more wiring of a larger gauge on use it on both setups to be more cost effective. But if I have to I'll spend the extra $ and get the correct wiring sizes for the speakers and subs. Thanks in advance.

Go to Sky High Car Audios eBay page and you can get a good deal on wire by the foot or why I love the eBay page is they have wire in random lengths, like 10', 15', 20', 25', for cheap too, and that allows you to get 16g or 14g for your comps and get 12g or 8g for your sub for cheaper than a spool of one size wire. You can get 14g for literally just a few bucks more than 16g costs, but that way you can get exactly what you need two sizes of wire and not have to buy a spool of each size, remember its Sky High Car Audios EBAY page, not there actual website

Archived