So I was planning on getting a Singer 240 amp for my 2001 Toyota 4Runner since I was gonna run a BC 3500 on my Mayhem 18, but I ended up going with the BC 5500 instead (for upgradability). I will be running an XS D7500 battery, Big 3, 2/0 gauge, etc. Will I have to end up going with the 270 or 320 amp alternator instead? I was trying to avoid the higher current models because I didn't want to experience any voltage drop at stoplights with my foot on the brake (650 rpm) and the 240 amp model has a lower turn-on speed. But now I will obviously need more current if I end up getting another Mayhem or going with one of the Team Series drivers. I'm not sure what's more important... No voltage drop at stoplights? Or having an extra 30 or 80 amps during heavy current draw (I guess that's what the battery is for). Any input would be appreciated.

Is the 320 a hairpin 6 phase?

If so I wouldn't worry about idle current.

I also agree with turning that shit down at stoplights.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Get the 320 and turn that shit down at stoplights.. Its annoying.

I'm 45 years old and don't crank my music at stoplights. I actually would prefer no one in my town even know I have a car stereo for theft reasons. That being said, I just don't want the power to drop and have my heater fan, headlights, etc. fizzle out when my foot is on the brake. And yes it is a six phase hairpin.

I wouldn't worry about it, 6 phase hairpin's do great at idle.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

For your application, and if your sweating,.... truly sweating idle output, there is nothing better than the 270hp he sales. The best idle output he has benched to date. I see about 200 amp, at 500rpm. (its a large case, VS the 320 small case, idle can not be beat)

That said, he is playing with the 320 and is acutally netting more and more idle output.

You really cant go wrong here. They are both priced pretty much the same, and on 5k, youll be fine with either.

Good luck.

Haha! Thanks man. I was just in the middle of an email to Mike to order the 320 model. As far as price goes they all seem reasonable and I really don't plan on going wide fucking open all the time, but yes I was sweating the idle like a hooker in chuch. I just ordered the D7500 so I know I'll have some reserve. But yeah the 270 seems like a good compromise between idle and high rpm output.

Very interesting to know all the above. been procrastinating on ordering a mechman 370amp for my 99 audi a4 and this raises a question. Is the Elite series of mechman always 6phase hairpin? This is daily driven manual 5 speed car so I can't see it being an issue a stop light situation because there is no load from brakes being applied.

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/volkswagen/beetle/02-05/1-8/370-amp-elite-series-vw-alternator/

Current build

300amp alt

(1) xs power d4800 up front

(1) Optima yellow top 34 out back

All 1/0 skyhigh car audio power and ground including big 3/4

(2) Hyphonics 2000.4

front doors 5.25" memphis mclass comps don't recall exact model#

future plans to run (2) pair 6-8" mids each front door.

rear ski port 6.75" Alpine Type X pro series running passive

rear doors factory 5.25" need better speakers.

(1) ? sub amp maybe sundown saz-4500d

(1) ? Subwoofer maybe team 15"

getting by with a db drive 2400.1 class ab amp thats doing a good 660ish

watts rms to single JL audio 13w6v2 @ 2ohms

box 2.86 cubes slot port 32hrz

def need way more batteries.

https://instagram.com/p/4w51kBrX9g/?taken-by=boost_syndicate

Very interesting to know all the above. been procrastinating on ordering a mechman 370amp for my 99 audi a4 and this raises a question. Is the Elite series of mechman always 6phase hairpin? This is daily driven manual 5 speed car so I can't see it being an issue a stop light situation because there is no load from brakes being applied.

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/volkswagen/beetle/02-05/1-8/370-amp-elite-series-vw-alternator/

Im not sure about whether or not its "always" 6 phase but I do know its a great alt. I also drive a 5 speed and have no problem at the lights, I just rev lightly, unfortunately my alternator does not turn on unless I rev the engine, even at idle :'( IDLE: 550 RPMS- TURN ON- 600 RPMS.

Kenwood KVT-614

(4) Marathon 155 AH batts

2/0 OFC SHCA

Mechman 370

(2) Audioque 3500.1

(2) AA Mayhem 15s

I have a singer 6 phase 340 amp alt and does great on idle. I'm going to be running a dc 5 k myself.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Archived