Second Skin Audio

please help choosing woofers for a new build

2doorbeatin

Hey everyone I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I'm new to the forum , but been reading SMD forums for awhile now. I'm stuck right now as to which subwoofers I should buy. I have a 1994 mercury cougar(my beater car lol)currently I'm running 2 15inch PA mofos in a slot ported box with sub's and port firing towards front of car and sealed off from the rest of my trunk. I'm powering the sub's with a hifonics brz2400 at 1ohm. Anyway the mofos get kinda loud but sound like s**t doing it, so I'm starting from nothing again. A friend I know runs an audio shop and he's willing to sell me 2 Sound Stream Ta1.3000d for 400$ for both amps, their rated at 3000rms @.5ohm and 2500rms@ 1ohm, I'm hoping they will at least push 2000rms each at .5ohm with a 250amp alt and 2 extra batteries on each amp. I will be building a new box but because I'm gonna run the new sub's firing forward also I will need to do aero ports in order to get enough port area and my box width is limited. I have a budget from 300$ to 350$ for each subwoofer. Here's what I've been looking at so far and any of your opinions r welcome. OK so 15 inch woofer choices. Soundqubed HDC3.0, Sundown X-15(lil bit over budget), American Bass XFL 15, American Bass HD 15, Massive Audio Hippo they have very high 97db sensitivity idk, or Psi Audio platform 2 upgraded version. I plan on building box specs according to the sub I end up with and I can get up to 12 cubes of box in my trunk but I don't think box will be wide enough for a slot port the maximum width can be 38.5 inches, max height of 16 3/8 and I can go up to 48inches deep, I planned on 2 aero ports sub's firing forward with a port at top of box between the sub's and 1 port at bottom between the subs. I listen to a lot of rap I'm just lookin to get as loud as possible with some decent sound quality and box tuned around 34 or 35hrtz. Thanks a lot I'm very interested in your opinions I've been trying to choose new sub's for 2 weeks now lol.

Have you thought about 3 12s or 4 10s?

15s are always a bitch to work with in a trunk

Also beef up your electrical

Are SStream amps legit? I know some of their subs used to be awesome

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

First off...Welcome...as a member! :WELCOME: I would suggest Sundown. But that's just my opinion. On another note, I wouldn't suggest you ever run at .5 ohm, if you don't have too. There are some peeps that do here, but again, that's just a personal opinion. I would never want to run so hard on my elec. Maybe if I was competing or something. :shrug:

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

Oops sorry about posting in the wrong section where should I ask my question Ive never been member on the forums so I don't kjnow where or how to move my post . Also If I stay with my max box width and height I can slide box in from the back seat firing forward with no problems, it took some cutting time with a grinder but it was worth it in the end lol. I had a sound stream Rubicon B4 it was rated at 1600rms it came close to doing rated on music, but I plan on 2 crescendo 1500s in couple months.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for providing actual info when asking a question. I am not going to suggest subs but I will suggest this. Once you fond the ones you think you want, before hitting the pay button, mock up the enclosure you would build for them out of cardboard to make sure it fits. You may end up needing to do some assembly in the trunk which is a PITA. I will also say that going down to .5 isn't worth it for such a small gain that you wont hear if youre only gaining 500 watts. Thats alot of extra strain on your electrical.

Good luck and welcome again.

OK I'm gonna take both of u guys advice and not run .5ohm on the amps what Rockford said makes perfect sense to me, I'm getting a deal on both the amps so I'll have to make them work for a few months cause I want to get my extra batts and high output alt in first i have done the big 3 already and had 1 extra battery helping power my Brz 2400. As far as getting the box in I got it down perfect this will be the 4th box for 2 15s that's been in there, I can get 12 cubes in there very easily just as long as a stay 38.5inches wide and no taller than 16 3/8 and it makes sealing the trunk back easy because the gap around box is so small. I get a lot more output with them sealed off firing sub's and port towards my backseat and there's alot less trunk rattle its kinda like havig a hatch or SUV I guess that's why I want to keep them firing this way. Where should I post my question about which sub's to buy? I'm driving myself crazy trying to make a choice but in my mind its been a close race between the X-15s or the Hdc3.0's from Soundqubed they have nice sensitivity and way better xmax than my PA mofos but I'm far from a subwoofer expert.

Archived