CE Auto Electric Supply

just for curoistitys sake, in B4L's decision for the battery bank when the car is off, given that we now know the system will require a 150ah-230ah load now, wouldnt the fast manner at which you are trying to draw all the potential amperage out of the batteries (1 hour) severaly reduce the amount of power they would be able to sustain. If we take a 100ah battery (like used in the answer) like the D2700, it has an RC rating of 185min, so 25 amps continuous for a little over 3 hours. If we factored it down to a 1 hour draw we would only see around 75 amps continuous (75ah), but since we are trying to discharge the power 3x faster the rated amount we could expect to see capacity loss of us to 40% since the rate at which you discharge directly affects the amount of power able to be drawn. So a 100ah battery may only be able to provide 50-60amps continuous for a 1 hour discharge(50ah-60ah). And that would be completely killing the battery, but the voltage Takedown504 would want is "good" which would be lost around 50% battery life mark as it is. So with that now potentially a rate 100ah battery falls to 25ah-35ah battery in term of real potential. I guess what im curious about is would it really be advisable to have 2 100ah batteries, or 3 80ah, and expect to draw almost 75% potential out of them and rely on them to not only last long enough to get his value out of them, but also to be able to start the car since they all will be wired in parallel with the front bat (and as said they become a draw themselves to the alt once drained they dont help charge)

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Only one component is needed to solve this problem and that is Tony.

takedown504 should roll into Tony's shop tell him what his expectations are hand him a stack of cash and know he will get the result he is asking for.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

B4L did in fact account for a bit of fudge factor here - at least enough for me to be satisfied with his answer. Really what I was looking for more than anything is the methodology the winner would take to arrive at the solution. [There really isn't an "exact" answer to such a question.] Peukert's Law governs what you're discussing and is something I learned of long after my days of installing car audio systems for a living were behind me (my installation career formally ended in 1997).

Regardless, the exercise here was for everyone to learn a little something. Obviously, there is much to consider when designing a charging system to perform exactly as you require it to. I'm very impressed here that very little opinion was interjected into the answers. What can we all learn from that? What if we were to read just the first page of threads in the Electrical forum - would the discussions there also be equally free of opinion? Hmmm . . .

Now that we've outlined it all in a thread, who's going to take it to the next level and build this system to prove / disprove B4L's answer? After all, isn't that what we're really after - real world solutions? B4L laid out the groundwork with an excellent hypothesis based off of what he's learned. Now, it's up to some SMD Member to prove it right or wrong.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

So I missed the duty cycle of the amps... :(

And congrats on the win...

Edited by Skater229

2010 Chevy  HHR Panel (Work in progress)

Pioneer AVHX-5800BHS

McLaren MLM880's and MLT2's 2ea per door on a DC 175.4

Two DC Audio M4 Level 5 15's On A DC5K

Alt CES 200/270+

4ea Banks of Maxwell 2.7v 3000f caps for a total of 2000f

1ea XS 3100 and 2ea NSB FT170 Batts for 450+ah 

Not a HUGE build but here it is... DC Audio HHR Build

TDH-skater229.jpg
SkaterLogo.jpg

just for curoistitys sake, in B4L's decision for the battery bank when the car is off, given that we now know the system will require a 150ah-230ah load now, wouldnt the fast manner at which you are trying to draw all the potential amperage out of the batteries (1 hour) severaly reduce the amount of power they would be able to sustain. If we take a 100ah battery (like used in the answer) like the D2700, it has an RC rating of 185min, so 25 amps continuous for a little over 3 hours. If we factored it down to a 1 hour draw we would only see around 75 amps continuous (75ah), but since we are trying to discharge the power 3x faster the rated amount we could expect to see capacity loss of us to 40% since the rate at which you discharge directly affects the amount of power able to be drawn. So a 100ah battery may only be able to provide 50-60amps continuous for a 1 hour discharge(50ah-60ah). And that would be completely killing the battery, but the voltage Takedown504 would want is "good" which would be lost around 50% battery life mark as it is. So with that now potentially a rate 100ah battery falls to 25ah-35ah battery in term of real potential. I guess what im curious about is would it really be advisable to have 2 100ah batteries, or 3 80ah, and expect to draw almost 75% potential out of them and rely on them to not only last long enough to get his value out of them, but also to be able to start the car since they all will be wired in parallel with the front bat (and as said they become a draw themselves to the alt once drained they dont help charge)

please note i did not use xs power because i dont believe their ah rating is based at 1C. a 100ah @ 1C can discharge 100 amps continous for an hour from full to dead voltage. thats why i put a little more room in so he could still start the car

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Only one component is needed to solve this problem and that is Tony.

takedown504 should roll into Tony's shop tell him what his expectations are hand him a stack of cash and know he will get the result he is asking for.

I think he would expect everything to be painted gold and have many hones.

7e770874-fae3-49d5-ad82-4cabf106fead_zps d3abdb88-50bf-42d8-9628-e257559ec11d_zps

IG: devinthydude