DD-1 claims another victim. DD-1 Vs $1300 Alpine Headunit

Great thread. Will have to watch when I get home but by all the comments thus far I am excited to watch the video!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

You know what the worst part is? If you took that head unit back to the place you bought it, explained the situation, they wouldn't even consider replacing it.

They'd say that's not possible for you to detect that, or they stick it on their O-scope and see nothing (if they even have one). Just try to convince them that the DD-1 was made by some of the top guys in the industry, but they won't give a shit.

And then you'd be out $1300 on that brand new head unit.

Thats when you call them noobs for using an o-scope to detect distortion. You use a distortion meter to detect distortion.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Great video!

Spreading the word out in Colorado on some facebook pages to hopefully convince some haters. We'll see.

:good:

This shouldn't be taken as a dig on Alpine at all. Any consumer electronics company that produces equipment in the thousands to millions is going to see some component failures.

Its just a given when things are produced at that level.

This is a prefect example though of the true capabilities of the DD-1 vs an Oscope. Sometimes you can't always "see" the problem whereas a specified device that hunts for distortion comes in real handy!

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

I had a similar situation with a buddy of mine. He went and strapped his amps and said he didnt believe in the dd-1. well summer goes by and he blew his very expensive subs, so i said lets check your gain with the dd-1. well as it turned out his amps had an issue when strapped that caused distortion 100% of the time even with the HU off and amps on.

If he would have let me set his gains we would have found the issue before he lost $1200 in subs lol

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

I had a similar situation with a buddy of mine. He went and strapped his amps and said he didnt believe in the dd-1. well summer goes by and he blew his very expensive subs, so i said lets check your gain with the dd-1. well as it turned out his amps had an issue when strapped that caused distortion 100% of the time even with the HU off and amps on.

If he would have let me set his gains we would have found the issue before he lost $1200 in subs lol

Guys, distortion isnt clipping. Its just a difference in the audio signal to what was intended. Distortion could blow your stuff if it flattened out the sine wave to square blocks or something, but its not very likely..

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.