DD-1 claims another victim. DD-1 Vs $1300 Alpine Headunit

I had a similar situation with a buddy of mine. He went and strapped his amps and said he didnt believe in the dd-1. well summer goes by and he blew his very expensive subs, so i said lets check your gain with the dd-1. well as it turned out his amps had an issue when strapped that caused distortion 100% of the time even with the HU off and amps on.

If he would have let me set his gains we would have found the issue before he lost $1200 in subs lol

Guys, distortion isnt clipping. Its just a difference in the audio signal to what was intended. Distortion could blow your stuff if it flattened out the sine wave to square blocks or something, but its not very likely..

no shit jackass

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

you get distortion before clipping. rather have distortion free music.. thats the deal with the brutus amps. they dont clip at say (example) 50% gain but have distortion. you an set it with an oscope and be loud or set it with DD-1 and will sound way better but wont get as loud. other amps with same deck would allow me to set it a bit higher and still sound louder and better

You know what the worst part is? If you took that head unit back to the place you bought it, explained the situation, they wouldn't even consider replacing it.

They'd say that's not possible for you to detect that, or they stick it on their O-scope and see nothing (if they even have one). Just try to convince them that the DD-1 was made by some of the top guys in the industry, but they won't give a shit.

And then you'd be out $1300 on that brand new head unit.

which is almost half the point exactly, i understand that distortion isn't clipping by definition and only sometimes do they relate, but if the DD-1 is showing that either a head unit or amp is distorting signal in some way/some times, what way is there to prove it, if not even an oscilloscope will show the amount that is happening to the naked eye? I say this purely because the type of person i am i don't like to take things at face value without proof, not saying that the proof isn't there, DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A BASH REPLY, i fully respect the product, its just after seeing this video it only further proves that we may in fact be mislead even with the best of intentions, like watching for a "clean" single on an oscilloscope, because if all we have to trust is this one device, that only has 1 red light to either prove or disprove distortion, what proof does each individual user have to further prove and back up the test. Because not everybody is always a good person, someone in the position of the DD-1 maker, could unknowingly be doing the same thing and if only that one test will prove your point, it may be hard to get the backing needed, or prove its actually true. Im just trying to expand my knowledge once again I'm not hating on the product.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

You know what the worst part is? If you took that head unit back to the place you bought it, explained the situation, they wouldn't even consider replacing it.

They'd say that's not possible for you to detect that, or they stick it on their O-scope and see nothing (if they even have one). Just try to convince them that the DD-1 was made by some of the top guys in the industry, but they won't give a shit.

And then you'd be out $1300 on that brand new head unit.

which is almost half the point exactly, i understand that distortion isn't clipping by definition and only sometimes do they relate, but if the DD-1 is showing that either a head unit or amp is distorting signal in some way/some times, what way is there to prove it, if not even an oscilloscope will show the amount that is happening to the naked eye? I say this purely because the type of person i am i don't like to take things at face value without proof, not saying that the proof isn't there, DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A BASH REPLY, i fully respect the product, its just after seeing this video it only further proves that we may in fact be mislead even with the best of intentions, like watching for a "clean" single on an oscilloscope, because if all we have to trust is this one device, that only has 1 red light to either prove or disprove distortion, what proof does each individual user have to further prove and back up the test. Because not everybody is always a good person, someone in the position of the DD-1 maker, could unknowingly be doing the same thing and if only that one test will prove your point, it may be hard to get the backing needed, or prove its actually true. Im just trying to expand my knowledge once again I'm not hating on the product.

Did you miss the part where he showed the HP distortion analyzer verified what the dd-1 was saying?

Here you go.

v4yEN40.jpg

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

yeah i saw that guess i half forgot. Maybe because I'm not 100% familiar with that machine and its workings as well, just saw another number even though it was "more proof", in my mind it just didn't help register as to what the distortion actually is.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

clipping is clipping, distortion is distortion.

also, you can have clipping below 0db. even a -5db tone can be clipped.

ok im done

How is clipping not distortion?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• 1 month later...

is it just that one unit or a bad design?

prob a bad unit. Most of the alpines i have used my DD-1 on didn't distort at all. At least not till the very last few notches like most pioneers, if at all.

After watching this video I decided to test my newly purchased unit with the dd1 since I have the same model. I can go max volume from the head unit with no distortion!! :-)

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

video to back that up?

I don't think he needs to prove it, there are a few head units out there that do the same.

Something was clearly wrong with the one Tony has.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.