audiophile headunits???? where did they all go???

Nsomnia

hey guys, so im looking to replace my eclipse 8445 headunit. after hitting up all the local audio shops this week and leaving empty, ive gotta say im kinda shocked at the headunit scene. did a few hours of reserch tonight and ive come to the conclusion that no one is making the high end stuff any more.... that being said whats everyone using?

the system im building is for my everyday driver and consists of:

jl slash v2 500/1 mono amp

jl slash v2 300/4 4 channel

focal ps 165f3 front sp

focal ps 165fx rear sp

infinity ref 860 subs x4

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many people on here, as well as I, that will live up to the 80PRS being an amazing headunit. Check it out, lots of amazing features.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Simply put, there's no money in it. Let's say Kenwood (example) can profit $18 on the BT318U and $150 on some high-end audiophile unit. Well, they can sell 500 BT318Us to one audiophile unit. Why bother?

It's sad for folks like us, but the masses have spoken clearly. Just give me something cheap that can play my 128kbps MP3s and changes color.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

The 80prs is not an audiophile unit. It's one of the more feature rich ones sure by you guys don't know what audiophile is if you think that thing is it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

lol @ 80prs...... all the audiophile units are old school ones..... nothing new now and days being that we are in the time of the DSP... digital sound processor

all the sq nuts just need something to send there DSP a clean signal .. fiber optic and data cables are then used for better signal transfer

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

alpine 7990, 9887

the denon dct-z1 I think...

Basically pioneer IMHO does not make sq units at all...but they have enough features in them where you can get away with less processing equipment and have things like time alignment and active crossover setups built in. Its a good choice to get your setup 75% of the way there SQ wise, makes it easier for a daily driver setup.

But the sound quality of the pioneer units is nowhere near what it needs to be for true sound quality competition setups. Most guys seem to be going the alpine or other deck to bit 1 or bit 10 setup. You do your processing with a DSP and the headunit is more just a control device for volume and source material.

as an aside, I bought the 80prs I amo not enamored with it but it will get the job done for right now.

Archived