Second Skin Audio

Rockford Fosgate P3 15" (Custom Box Help)

darksoul989

Hello everyone, been a while since last needed any help on a custom box.

Iv got a P3 15d4 in a 07 corolla:

The paperwork given with the sub only gives info for aero port and I'd prefer slot port both sub and port being on front.

Info given: (Aero Port Recommendations)

Displacement: 0.148cu ft

Vb - 2.66 (Gross Volume)

Fb - 32.0Hz (Tuning Frequency)

H - 18"

W - 28"

D - 12"

Port Size: (1) 4"x10

(Total diameter of sub 16.14")

Help needed as this first box I'v made requiring more than a basic L port: I understand that more than one board for the port adds to being more baffles counted??? Note would be using 3/4" mdf and double baffle for front. Limitations I got are width cant be more than 27" as makes to hard to fit in trunk and I got a trunk clearance issue of being 18". (clearance being sliding box into trunk!)

Contacting Rockford for slot port info has left me with no results as I always get put on hold for far to long!

Any help given much appreciated and port design photos would be appreciated as well.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a suggestion on the tight side, please check well dimensions will work before cutting any wood, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 2 3/4", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

p315.jpg

1SFPFno45s_zps74ec662c.jpg

Here is a suggestion on the tight side, please check well dimensions will work before cutting any wood, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 3 1/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

p315.jpg

1SFPFno45s_zps74ec662c.jpg

ill have to test these as ill have to add back the 0.5" to the height as there is issue with the mounting ring of the sub being over 16"

In your vehicle no one has requested a taller box than 16" but if due to the year or whatever you can fit a box taller then let me know and I will change the above, as suggested build the cardboard box and make sure it goes in and the trunk lid closes errors happen all the time with this, also if you can get more space, that would be nice.

In your vehicle no one has requested a taller box than 16" but if due to the year or whatever you can fit a box taller then let me know and I will change the above, as suggested build the cardboard box and make sure it goes in and the trunk lid closes errors happen all the time with this, also if you can get more space, that would be nice.

Current box the sub is in is 21" Wide / 18" Deep / 16.5" Tall (subs mounting ring literally at tips of that measurement) Issue is this box is 1/2" mdf and tuned to 49Hz!

Its the box the sub came in when I got it. As for nobody asking for over 16" tall thats cause the very rear of trunk the lip has clearance of 16" if your trying to mount flush against seat.

Im avoiding the flush mount as it creates a wickedly annoying rattle with the ball bearings in the seat belts.

A slightly smaller box may be needed as I tested 27 width and 18 deep it creates a small issue with trying to slide it in.

Note that I still havent managed to get through to Rockford Reps for more info on box size recommendations. Only further info got is fact they recommend 2.66cu ft with 4" aero port.

Also states sealed inclosure being 1.5-3cu ft so i take it that being its smallest and largest unless by chance the sub can handle larger when ported??? If so I assume it would be something like 2.5-3.5cu ft???

Id like to tune as close to the 32Hz as possible. and note that my brackets for mounting would have to be moved if box built taller than 16.5" which i dont mind doing tho anything more than 17" makes it hard to get a good mounting point.

Also needs better measurement as i need to use double front baffle. Single rips screws out place to often.

Current box the sub is in is 21" Wide / 18" Deep / 16.5" Tall (subs mounting ring literally at tips of that measurement) Issue is this box is 1/2" mdf and tuned to 49Hz!

Its the box the sub came in when I got it. As for nobody asking for over 16" tall thats cause the very rear of trunk the lip has clearance of 16" if your trying to mount flush against seat.

Im avoiding the flush mount as it creates a wickedly annoying rattle with the ball bearings in the seat belts.

A slightly smaller box may be needed as I tested 27 width and 18 deep it creates a small issue with trying to slide it in.

Note that I still havent managed to get through to Rockford Reps for more info on box size recommendations. Only further info got is fact they recommend 2.66cu ft with 4" aero port.

Also states sealed inclosure being 1.5-3cu ft so i take it that being its smallest and largest unless by chance the sub can handle larger when ported??? If so I assume it would be something like 2.5-3.5cu ft???

Id like to tune as close to the 32Hz as possible. and note that my brackets for mounting would have to be moved if box built taller than 16.5" which i dont mind doing tho anything more than 17" makes it hard to get a good mounting point.

Also needs better measurement as i need to use double front baffle. Single rips screws out place to often.

Edit: Note that your measurements are giving me 3.76cu ft in Torres Calculator.

anything under 3.25cu ft ends up needing 2" port width and anything larger takes over 3.25" port width.

what do you think of this?

PossibleRockfordDesign_zps8bboanxv.jpg

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

2.5" port would work better, the port area is more important than the port width

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Archived