CE Auto Electric Supply

Hmmm . . . I didn't infer anything. I asked a question and offered no opinion in the process.

Miguels - no worries bro, I was just givin' you a hard time! As for your question, the answer could only be arrived at in laboratory conditions.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

One makes 1,000 Watts into 2 Ohms.

One makes 1,000 Watts into .5 Ohms.

You have four DVC 4 Ohm woofers.

Which amp will play louder with these woofers? Why?

This infers one plays louder than the other, and that there is a specific reason (or reasons) why.

I listed a few reasons why either may be the louder setup and Tony gave a reason as well and inferred that the topic needs further research as it is not a "simple" answer.. like number of subs or non-reactive impedance.

The answer to the question is that it will depend on a list of real world factors that need to be tested and known and listed in the question if you're looking for a specific defined point and looking to maintain order.

It could even be something like coil weight, field, or magnetic permeability being influenced from number of turns due to the different impedance each setup is attempting to run, or even that the coil is being influenced far futher than we think due to the nature of running a parallel or series (as mentioned in the youtube video).

I think this belongs in the "fact and science have no place in car audio" thread to tell you the truth. I dont recall anyone saying anything about researching the topic further (here or other places, its not actually a new topic though it is not a popular one to discuss with intent to get anywhere for some reason) and I surely dont have the time or resources to.

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Nope, not lookin' to "maintain order" just looking to see how folks think. I continue to learn more in that regards.

We have several deep thinkers here at SMD. Who has what it takes to be the next great mind in Audio?

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Is a thousand watts a thousand watts?

Are watts the factor we should be looking at (the amplifier challenge that has been going around for quite some time).

I'm pretty convinced that Tony D doesn't believe that class D is worth a second glance when considering output quality.

Little things (relative to general knowledge of the forum) like negative feedback, the input stage, linearity, thermal distortion in the crossover stage, ect..

Are the units we are using to judge "loud" in phons or decibels?

You can even use the many reports of forum members on here that recently bought a DD1 and went from clipping to non-clipping and perceived to hear their system louder.

In an electrical stance would this not be going from a higher wattage in terms of RMS to a lower with a perceived louder output, because of the cleaner output signal.

Do other things not matter?

Does everyone hear the same thing as another -look at my sig-? One poor example is The Dress that is going around social media at this time.

These are the things I'm considering in this question, and with the given information I can not give a honest answer.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2
b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.