Tweeter attenuation questions!

soundsystemaniac

Anyone here ever used L-pads for speaker attenuation? My situation is: Rf punch pro 8 (4 ohm) and punch pro tweeter (4 ohm)per channel on amplifier. The problem is that The tweeters are WAY louder than the mids (due to sensitivity) I have 250 rms per channel from the amp @2 ohms. The tweeter is 50 rms and mid is 200 rms. Instead of running a seperate channel on the tweeter, could I just use an L pad to attenuate the tweeter and fine tune it to where it sounds just right?

In theory, Could I give 200 rms to the mid and 50 rms to the tweeter with the Lpad?

How do you have them wired? Through a passive crossover? If so, there should be an attenuation switch on the crossover that offers -3dB and +3dB

How do you have them wired? Through a passive crossover? If so, there should be an attenuation switch on the crossover that offers -3dB and +3dB

Now, there is a -6db per octave xover in the tweeter. so, just wired up with the mid

then I am of no help. I don't know what the hell an L Pad is. Hopefully someone else will hop in and help you. The easiest way would be tweeters on one channel and mids on the other, but you said you don't want to do that.

Anyone here ever used L-pads for speaker attenuation? My situation is: Rf punch pro 8 (4 ohm) and punch pro tweeter (4 ohm)per channel on amplifier. The problem is that The tweeters are WAY louder than the mids (due to sensitivity) I have 250 rms per channel from the amp @2 ohms. The tweeter is 50 rms and mid is 200 rms. Instead of running a seperate channel on the tweeter, could I just use an L pad to attenuate the tweeter and fine tune it to where it sounds just right?
In theory, Could I give 200 rms to the mid and 50 rms to the tweeter with the Lpad?

You have exactly the right idea.

Generally however, when dealling with L-pads you must make sure that the one you are using is rated for the amount of wattage you are looking to push to it via your amplifier. For instance, Your amp is rated at 200@2 ohms and you are wiring your mid and tweeter in series for the full 200 watts then you will need a 100+ watt capable L-pad especially since the tweeter is likely higher sensitivity.

Good luck.

Archived