Horn/ Line array

classic100%

You're talking about two different things. Also I am assuming you are talking about this for your car, because a line array is not typical in a car.

Horns can be a couple different things, in this case I think you are talking about a Horn loaded compression driver or HLCD. Image Dynamics used to sell them now a guy called Eric Stevens who patened it still sells them but basically a horn in a car usually is a waveguide + compression driver.

A line array is well a lot of drivers in a line for greater dispersion. Also there are CBT arrays as well. I wouldn't put a Line array in a car. Haven't seen one really although I think Sky High may have one in one of their cars or team cars, I saw 5-6 1" drivers on the A pillar which was cool. Problem with a line array is you get a lot of issues with tuning. You have to have a active setup that you can really dial in so you end up going with something like a beringher DCX2496 or whatever which is a little bit difficult to manage.

I would think a line array would be really hard to tune in a car because of reflections and such and the fact that they are not simple to tune you get a lot of really strange things that can happen with cancellation in a line array.

Read up online before you jump in. Probably more hassle then its worth. Even a HLCD will take some time but a HLCD is totally doable.

You're talking about two different things. Also I am assuming you are talking about this for your car, because a line array is not typical in a car.

Horns can be a couple different things, in this case I think you are talking about a Horn loaded compression driver or HLCD. Image Dynamics used to sell them now a guy called Eric Stevens who patened it still sells them but basically a horn in a car usually is a waveguide + compression driver.

A line array is well a lot of drivers in a line for greater dispersion. Also there are CBT arrays as well. I wouldn't put a Line array in a car. Haven't seen one really although I think Sky High may have one in one of their cars or team cars, I saw 5-6 1" drivers on the A pillar which was cool. Problem with a line array is you get a lot of issues with tuning. You have to have a active setup that you can really dial in so you end up going with something like a beringher DCX2496 or whatever which is a little bit difficult to manage.

I would think a line array would be really hard to tune in a car because of reflections and such and the fact that they are not simple to tune you get a lot of really strange things that can happen with cancellation in a line array.

Read up online before you jump in. Probably more hassle then its worth. Even a HLCD will take some time but a HLCD is totally doable.

Thank you for that explanation, just so that we are on the same page I am referring to the horn in the following link ( http://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-wg-500-14-140-degree-w-line-array-waveguide-4-bolt--294-2840 ).

I have a 7.5 inch space to the sides of my sub box and will like to put 2 6 inch speakers and 1 horn, I have selected the speakers now I need to select the horns. I have done some research but reading different articles. I found out what a horn suppose to do, but I am still lost on which horn to choose and why.

Height, width, and depth dictate how low a horn plays, frequency range, and it's dispersion pattern. Some will only play to 3500 hz while others down to 500. Are you trying to build a street battle car? Can you show us a picture of where you want to place them?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Height, width, and depth dictate how low a horn plays, frequency range, and it's dispersion pattern. Some will only play to 3500 hz while others down to 500. Are you trying to build a street battle car? Can you show us a picture of where you want to place them?

Wow, good knowledge! I don't have a image on hand of the area I wish to put the drivers, but the make horn size it will fit is a 7x7 horn by 7inch deep. The lowest I am looking to go is 1500hz, do you know of a drive? Also, I see that horns/wave guides are made from different materials, is the a difference in sound quality from aluminum, polycarbonate etc.?

The different materials affect what their resonant frequency is that comes out of the horn body itself. The thickly poured resin horns are said to be the best for this while the aluminum body veratis can have a hollow sound much like the thin plastic bodied USD audio bodies. I can assure you that the most design and testing went in to the image dynamic/eric stevens bodies over most any other that you will find that were meant to mount under the dash. Most of the thinner materials can be tamed by adding a layer of some kind of deadner to help with the resonating frequencies anyways.

Thank you for that explanation, just so that we are on the same page I am referring to the horn in the following link ( http://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-wg-500-14-140-degree-w-line-array-waveguide-4-bolt--294-2840 ).

I have a 7.5 inch space to the sides of my sub box and will like to put 2 6 inch speakers and 1 horn, I have selected the speakers now I need to select the horns. I have done some research but reading different articles. I found out what a horn suppose to do, but I am still lost on which horn to choose and why.

ok this may be obvious but just for safety's sake. That link is only the waveguide, You would of course need a compression driver to attach to it. This would give you a starting point, waveguide + compression driver for things like dispersion angle, frequency reponse and the like. You would then have to measure in car frequency response from there.

also:

Overview
Use the PRV Audio WG 500 to create professional audio line arrays with 1.4" exit compression drivers. 140° horizontal coverage with minimal vertical dispersion and acoustic loading down to 1 kHz.
Highlights
  • 140° wide dispersion pattern with minimal vertical dispersion
  • Stackable design for tight grouping
  • 1.4" throat diameter
  • Lightweight aluminum construction
  • Acoustically loads compression drivers down to 1,000 Hz

Per their spec the lowest you are going to be able to use that horn at is 1Khz.

ok this may be obvious but just for safety's sake. That link is only the waveguide, You would of course need a compression driver to attach to it. This would give you a starting point, waveguide + compression driver for things like dispersion angle, frequency reponse and the like. You would then have to measure in car frequency response from there.

also:

Overview
Use the PRV Audio WG 500 to create professional audio line arrays with 1.4" exit compression drivers. 140° horizontal coverage with minimal vertical dispersion and acoustic loading down to 1 kHz.
Highlights
  • 140° wide dispersion pattern with minimal vertical dispersion
  • Stackable design for tight grouping
  • 1.4" throat diameter
  • Lightweight aluminum construction
  • Acoustically loads compression drivers down to 1,000 Hz

Per their spec the lowest you are going to be able to use that horn at is 1Khz.

Yes, I do understand that I will need a compression driver. To confirm what you are saying, the PRV Audio WG 500 will be a good choose for car audio.

Is that a question?

If so, well I have no idea. I have never ran that wave guide in a car and I have only seen much larger, wider wave guides used successfully in a car. If you have the money experiment with 3 or 4 of them and see which ones work. And return the ones that don't sound good. Although make sure the company you are buying them from allows that type of thing. Most don't.

Or you can go on diymobileaudio forum and look at the thread where a guy has done exhaustive research trying to find the perfect horn and just emulate his. Would most likely give you a better result.

But typically the car matters more then the driver. Meaning that the most amazing driver in the world can sound like crap in your car because of some stupid little thing that you can't change so you will end up experimenting a bit OR measuring out everything before hand and eq'ing/ta'ing your setup to all hell. Which I mean thats experimentation too you are just using the DSP to do a lot of the work of making a ugly shoe fit.

Archived