Big Time Lag w/ New External Hard Drive

I have a 500gb hard drive that I just started using. Since installing the software and running the hard drive, my laptop is lagging like a mofo. Its really annoying when trying to scroll down a page and there is a 5-10 second delay, yes its that bad. Is this a normal issue when using an external backup drive?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Is this a completely separate drive in it's own case, external HDD?

Edit: I'll be up for like 2 more hours if you stay active we can try and figure it out.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

And you're getting this lag while it's plugged in, or constantly since you installed it's software?

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Hmm, that is really fucking weird. That screen you are speaking of, was that available during or after the software installation? Also, I want you to check to see if your computer is trying to make an index out of this external HDD. What might be happening, is every time you plug it in. The PC starts trying to create a searchable index to make searches quicker. Which, takes time obviously. To check this, go to your control panel and search indexing options. Select that, then from the next screen select modify. It will show you all the drives that are currently selected to be indexed. Make sure that external drive is unchecked.

Edit: this is also a PC correct? Just curious because in my search I found A LOT, and I mean A LOT of crap for macs with related issues.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Its unchecked for indexing.

That option was during the install. I can't find it now.

I think Ill try to reinstall it.

The option might only be available through a program only on it's installation CD. I would say, uninstall the software, and see how the computer runs. If it runs fine after that, see if you can find a most recent software via the external HDD manufacturer website. If it still runs shitty after removing it. You just might have been infected right around the software installation time, making the perfect timing to throw things off lol.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I would open windows task manager and keep an eye on which processes go way up when you plug the drive in

I had this similar issue after installing my razer mouse only to find out that they run some cloud storage shit in the back that causes lag spikes

I saw which razer process was causing the spike, opened its file location and deleted it

Archived