Sundown Audio

Really weird amp problems - Soundqubed 1200

Jim Boulter

Hey guys, so here's the run down:

I've got a Soundqubed 1200 pushing two Sundown SA-12's @1ohm. I've been having issues recently, and I'm looking for someone more experienced to tell me where to start looking for problems with the setup.

1. When I installed the amp, plugging in both RCA's put the amp in protect. I didn't have time to open the head unit (it's my stock Ford head unit) and my old amplifiers a JL Slash 500/1 and then an Alpine 500W both had no problem with the RCA connections. This amp seemed to.

2. My voltages are rock solid at 14.4v because of my 120A alternator, so it's most likely not that.

3. I've been running just one RCA input and that works fine as far as I can tell. The amp loses power under heavy load at random intervals. It does NOT go into protect, just shuts off. Pulling the inline 120A fuse from the 4 gauge going to the amp and placing it back in will turn the amp back on, until it decides to shut off again. I almost always have to pull the fuse or let it sit a long time to get it to turn back on. The protection light does not turn on.

4. I originally had an 80A fuse in but after doing the math I upgraded to a 100A because the current I want to be passing through should be fine on 100A. Figuring the amp was putting out more than rated (haven't tested this) I grabbed a 120A fuse to match the 3x40A fuse setup on the amp itself. None of these fuses actually LOOK blown though. And I don't think they are, so that leads me to believe it's something else.

5. Everything plays completely clean before it shuts off.

Where should I start looking for problems?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Change all 3 40 amp fuses on the amp. It may not look it but one could be open and not show any signs of burn. Also check the head unit voltage out put to the amp. If it gets to high will set amp into protect. How are you connecting rca's to amp? If by line converters check the gain on them. Always check your grounds and power wires. Double check every connection to be clean and free of paint on grounds to body. Hope this can help.

Just because the amp has 3 40 amp fuses doesn't mean it's drawing that much current.

If you weren't blowing the 80 amp fuse it was big enough and I'd go back to that, you want the smallest fuse possible.

How hot is the amp getting?

And the rca issue may be an internal problem with the amp if the rcas work just fine with another amp.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived