Dual 18" Fi SP4 Woofers Infinite Baffle In My Roof?

So I've had a pair of Fi SP4 18's just sitting in my room disconnected close to a year now since buying a car that they won't fit in. The car will soon have an awesome SQ system in it but that's another story.

I can't justify building a box, even a sealed one since I'm tight on space. But had the idea since there's loads of room in the roof to somehow have them up there... and the easiest enclosure to have them in could be infinite baffle. I've also got a high power pro audio amp not doing anything so I have all the main bits I need.

I realize having 6000 Watts in my roof will most definitely spread through the rest of the house but I mean it's not like there's anywhere I can put them where they wouldn't... maybe the next suburb? I realize there will be big losses having them out of the room but I figure having them mostly above my listening position and well secured to the studs in the roof will still make noise. I will get an EQ to dial in what works but I would plan to mainly have them for very low frequencies. I also have a smaller Jamo woofer that would do low-mids since I'm using small speakers.

HEAT I thought of as one issue but they won't be in direct sunlight or anything, I live in Australia about as hot as it gets would be maybe 40-45 Celsius so assume maybe up there even on the hottest days it wouldn't rise above 50C and I'm sure cars could get that hot.

So just wanting to hear peoples thoughts on this whether or not it would be a waste of time?

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

Bump...

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

What amp?

Should work fine, and you could port them into your room and seal part of the roof to localize the area and volume you're working with as well.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

What amp?

Should work fine, and you could port them into your room and seal part of the roof to localize the area and volume you're working with as well.

Amp is a KAM KXD7200, claims to do around 1800 RMS per channel at 4 ohms. Doesn't give ratings at 2 ohms but it does run that low. Had it bridged on the two subs at 5.6 Ohms and it had them moving real good without clipping even some warmth at the dustcap.

Had the idea of porting but don't really want to be making massive holes in the roof.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202_page2.html

Dont think i'd be pushing that amp too hard at 4 ohms, let alone 2.

With 18's in the roof and no port you're going to be cracking or makings holes somewhere you probably dont want them

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived