Sundown Audio

Sundown SQ subwoofer ? (daily driver)

I was originally eyeballing a 2K amplifier but now i'm debating moving to 3K (I will be running a Singer 275A alternator, XS D3400 rated for 2,500 watt systems, and big three wiring).

Does sundown make a subwoofer that's more SQ orientated ? (well rounded on all ranges). Examples are SSA, Ascendant, Fi.....ect (subwoofers that hit all ranges hard, 30 to 80hz).

I have about 5.5-6 cubes to play with in the trunk so i'm looking at either dual 12s or a single 15

Edited by Alex Coyne

Fi has the Q line and AA had the Havoc I have ran both subs and loved them but I would go with the havoc. Sundown I'm guess the SA would sound the best at them ranges but I could be wrong.

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

Sq oriented and 3k rms sub stage are not things that belong together.

Edited by Broke_Audio_Addict

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Sq oriented and 3k rms sub stage are not things that belong together.

to my brothers ear a 10k sub stage that sounds good to him is SQ.. the RTA and judges dont count. its what his ears determines what SQ to him

That doesn't make it SQ, that makes it sound good to him. Those 2 are very different things. SQ has a specific definition in car audio.

So the question becomes: Is the OP looking for actual SQ or just what would sound good to the OP?

Edited by MrSkippyJ
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

In a true Sq setup the subs are there just to fill in the very bottom end and should blend in seamlessly and almost be as if they are not there.

I don't think you'll have that with a 3k rms sub stage.

I'm also in the sounds good to me category though as I like more low end too my music.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Sorry if I used the wrong terminology (i'm still relatively new to this).

I'm looking for crazy output (in exaggerated terms, possible heart murmur, rattling a cash register at a gas station) while sounding good at normal listening volumes.

I basically want the output of something like a pair of hdc3s or a single HDC4 (mid 140s or higher) but don't want the sloppy bass that comes with it

My last subwoofer was a sundown and my future amp next month might be one as well. I was wondering if sundown has a subwoofer that would hit all bass frequency's well ( I don't want a lowend monster that fizzles in the mid to upper bass range).

Edited by Alex Coyne

Why do you think sloppy bass comes with that?

It's all in what the enclosure is designed for.

In regards to sloppy bass i've been told that subs like the HDC3 are peaky and not very tight at all regardless of a good box (I don't want that at all ).

I also don't want something thats a lowend monster (for example I was looking at the X series but was told buy a sundown employee that its a lowend monster that falls out in output early in the upper bass frequencys). I want something that can hit the whole spectrum (30-80hz) versus a lowend monster that mostly hits 25-40hz.

I'm wondering if sundown has something simliar to the havoc/fi Q (something none peaky that hits all spectrum). I've heard to the SA series is great at this but not sure on the others (X series and up on SSA store keeps telling me "low frequency only, SPL cone if you want higher frequencies").