Second Skin Audio

Sundown X-8 Enclosure Help! (Was "Skar VVXv3 10 Enclosure Help....")

Brand0nnn

Hey guys! Newbie here, hopefully you guys could help give a once-over to my build.

Currently I'm rockin a Sundown SA12 in my '07 Honda Civic Coupe. Unfortunately I've decided I'd like to move to something smaller/ a box that's more tailored to my trunk to have a bit more space. The box is in the trunk of course, pushed against the back seat as snug as possible.

I've gone with a Skar VVXv3 10, just waiting for it to show up at my door currently, very excited to try this thing. I'll be pushing ~1000 watts to it (Alpine MRP-M1000), and the box I designed is ~1.3 cubic feet after displacements, tuned hopefully to around 33Hz. If the picture is difficult to see I apologize, it's just easiest for me to work it out that way.

I'm basically looking for confirmation that my numbers are correct in regards to tuning and volume, and that there'll be no port noise issues. Any advice would be great as I'm still learning, I've only built one previous box. Thanks guys!

qVrXvSI.jpg

BOX WIDTH: 34

BOX HEIGHT: 12

BOX DEPTH: 11

WOOD THICKNESS: 0.75

PORT WIDTH: 2

PORT LENGTH: 31

Each piece constructing the port is 7.5 inches.

Of course I'd like the sub to get low, with a fairly flat frequency response if at all possible. I'm not looking to win SPL competitions... it's a single 10, but I'm positive this will be enough to keep me happy in a proper box. I'd like to do it right the first time. I know lots of you have much more knowledge than me and I'm excited to hear back!

CHANGE OF PLANS...... Unfortunately there was a mix-up with Skar Audio (no hard feelings at all, just an order mistake) and so I've decided to go with a Sundown X-8.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest changing your port so that it just has one 90 degree bend and then runs along the back of the enclosure as far as it needs to to get the proper length. Ports are all about getting maximum airflow and all those 180 degree turns aren't going to do you any favors. Labyrinth ports like what you have planned out work, but they should be avoided if possible if you are after max output.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I would suggest changing your port so that it just has one 90 degree bend and then runs along the back of the enclosure as far as it needs to to get the proper length. Ports are all about getting maximum airflow and all those 180 degree turns aren't going to do you any favors. Labyrinth ports like what you have planned out work, but they should be avoided if possible if you are after max output.

That does make sense, the only reason I'm looking into this over an L shaped port is because of space. If I run an L-port, the magnet is going to be nearly hitting the back portwall, or I'd have to make the box deeper. If I have to I will, but I'd like to try to stay compact. If I did change it to an L-port and the magnet only had about an inch of clearance to the port wall behind it, I've heard it won't perform that great. Once again, any advice is welcome. Thanks Triticum!

PVC is great until the box dimensions force you to put elbows in it, as they will in your case, then slot ports become more appealing.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

PVC is great until the box dimensions force you to put elbows in it, as they will in your case, then slot ports become more appealing.

Understandable. I think I'm gonna go with the most recent design I've put up. I think that should serve its purpose quite well.. Hope for the best!

• 2 weeks later...
CHANGE IN PLANS: The enclosure is now going to be for a Sundown Audio X-8

I think this should be a better decision overall, and I've heard from a couple people that the X has some solid SQ as well as output.

I think I'll probably stick with the same box design as it should work with this guy pretty well.

Any thoughts let me know! :)

Sounds good. I assume you will be scaling down your design to a more appropriate size for the X-8?

Builds:

Archived