Second Skin Audio

Sundown X-8 Enclosure Help! (Was "Skar VVXv3 10 Enclosure Help....")

Brand0nnn

Sounds good. I assume you will be scaling down your design to a more appropriate size for the X-8?

I'll be reducing it slightly, I believe ~.75 cubes makes the X-8 pretty content so I think I'll shoot for around that, tuned to around 33/32Hz probably. Very excited to give this woofer a try, I believe it'll work better for my limited space as well.

I think this should be a better decision overall, and I've heard from a couple people that the X has some solid SQ as well as output.

Most folks wouldnt know the difference if it slapped en in the face.

This is true. I've been satisfied with my SA12 until now in regards to SQ and SPL (although a better designed enclosure could've improved the SQ...), aside from SPL I think this should satisfy. Not to say that it won't get loud in a proper enclosure, because I'm sure it will. (I'm really hoping anyway lol)

Once I get the sub in and finalize an enclosure design I'll be posting a log, as well as some footage of the results hopefully when I get around to it. There isn't a whole lot of info out there on this little beast yet.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if I should start a new threat because this is a different woofer but I'll try here. I thought using a similar enclosure would work but found that the X-8 will like a .5 cubes box tuned to around 32Hz........ The issue is I have no idea how to design this box.... I want it to be wide and shallow to take up minimal room in my trunk, but I'm having serious trouble. I think what I have may be a step in the right direction, but I would appreciate advice on this as I don't think I could make the sub fit... I'm really not sure what I should modify.

~75" of 1.75" x 8.5" Port.

W34" x H10" x D10"

Volume = ~.5 ft3

~32Hz

RcJHzAw.jpg

Designing a box for these small, high-excursion subs is always a challenge. Inevitably you end up making design compromises somewhere. I just built a box for a X-8 about a month ago, its the picture on the left in my signature. I ended up making the box .75 cubic feet net airspace with 17.5 sq in of port tuned to 33 Hz I believe. I would have liked to had a little less net volume, but it just makes the port too long. I really don't like ports much over about 44" because you can begin to run into port resonance issues. I would suggest increasing the net volume of your box a bit to shorten up that port. You may actually end up with a smaller overall box that way too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Designing a box for these small, high-excursion subs is always a challenge. Inevitably you end up making design compromises somewhere. I just built a box for a X-8 about a month ago, its the picture on the left in my signature. I ended up making the box .75 cubic feet net airspace with 17.5 sq in of port tuned to 33 Hz I believe. I would have liked to had a little less net volume, but it just makes the port too long. I really don't like ports much over about 44" because you can begin to run into port resonance issues. I would suggest increasing the net volume of your box a bit to shorten up that port. You may actually end up with a smaller overall box that way too.

Yeah it's a lot more of a challenge than I thought I was getting myself into... I know it'll be worth it in the end though. That box you built is clean as all hell btw, props!

I'll try out your suggestion tonight when I head back to the drawing board. I just don't want to have too much of a noticeable peak which seems like it may be impossible to avoid... I'm not sure if it'd even be that noticeable of a peak if I were to tune it a bit higher anyway.

Well, I'll see what I can figure, I'll keep ya posted, I appreciate the help! :)

Yeah it's a lot more of a challenge than I thought I was getting myself into... I know it'll be worth it in the end though. That box you built is clean as all hell btw, props!

I'll try out your suggestion tonight when I head back to the drawing board. I just don't want to have too much of a noticeable peak which seems like it may be impossible to avoid... I'm not sure if it'd even be that noticeable of a peak if I were to tune it a bit higher anyway.

Well, I'll see what I can figure, I'll keep ya posted, I appreciate the help! :)

No prob, glad I could help. As far as the peak goes, I think you are going to have a bit of a peak regardless of what you do. The X series subs are just peaky in nature and the X-8 is no exception.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

No prob, glad I could help. As far as the peak goes, I think you are going to have a bit of a peak regardless of what you do. The X series subs are just peaky in nature and the X-8 is no exception.

Came across this, I'd like to try and mock up something similar, when I get some time tonight I'll be trying that out. That'd be very ideal

Came across this, I'd like to try and mock up something similar, when I get some time tonight I'll be trying that out. That'd be very ideal

Looks good. That's fairly similar to layout I had with the X-8 box I built. I think doing a wrap around port like that should work out better than a labyrinth style with all the 180 degree bends. One nice thing is the X-8 doesn't have a pole vent so you can put the motor pretty close to the back wall.

Builds:

Looks good. That's fairly similar to layout I had with the X-8 box I built. I think doing a wrap around port like that should work out better than a labyrinth style with all the 180 degree bends. One nice thing is the X-8 doesn't have a pole vent so you can put the motor pretty close to the back wall.

Ok here's what I have:

H10" x D11" x 32"W

1.5" x 8.5" x 46"L (Wrapping all the way around)

After bracing and 45's I think that should put me around .7ft3, tuned to around ~32Hz.. I'm pretty sure anyway... Does that look correct/make sense to you?

This is so tedious lol, I just wanna get this figured out!

So here is a suggestion for your reference, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 1 5/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

image.jpg

1xsa8V2PFSF.jpg

So here is a suggestion for your reference, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 1 5/8", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

image.jpg

1xsa8V2PFSF.jpg

Awesome! Thanks a ton. I appreciate the help, hopefully I'll be able to assemble within the next week.

Those numbers are all verified correct? (Tuning and Volume)

Also, since I'm running 1000 Watts to it, do you think .75ft3 is good still? Or should I go to around .65ft3?

Once again, the help is really appreciated.

Cheers :)

Archived