Alt Whine - Can't Find The Source!

It could possibly be a failing alt but if you never had issues before I doubt that's what it is.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

LOL this has turned into a big3 tutorial

Im missing how ground the alt will eliminate his whine noise?

My question to OP is how cheap are your rcas?

He said it doesn't do it with the vehicle off. This was covered already.

I have done my homework on why the big 3 works, it's an extremely simple principal that doesn't require much more than common sense, and I plan on doing it. And I'm not running a second battery or anything crazy. I'm running one sub amp and one small 4channel, common ground, and it's grounded back to the battery (all 1/0) not to the chassis. To me, this is the cause of where the noise comes from, the extra resistance from the engine/alt ground to battery, going through the chassis. And there is no place on a stock alt to run a dedicated ground, and I'm not going to drill and tap in to the case. It's bolted to the engine, no plastic brackets, so sharing a common ground with the engine is not a big issue with this small amount of power.

I said I demo my Mustang all the time, I have an XS power up front and two XP3000's in the trunk. It has the reserve to be demo'd. This issue is in my Tundra, it's less than 1.5kw and I put a big AGM up front. I wasn't demo'ing it, just playing it at low volume to try to narrow down the source of the noise

As long as I get the vibe your intentions are to learn I will to continue to try to help, but you are just flat out telling 2 different stories.

See above. It is two different stories because it's two different vehicles lol sorry for the confusion on that.

2006 Mustang GT

Audio:2x RF R1200-1D, 2x RF R400-4, 2x RF P1S48, 2x RF T1682c, 2x DC 12" Lvl 3 D2, 1x RF T1652-s, XS Power Batts, Toolmaker blocks, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack

Performance Mods:Too many to list...

2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

Audio:1x RF R1200-1D, 1x RF R250x4, 2x Sundown 10" SD2, 2x RF P1652, 1x RF P1652-s, Q-logic kickpanels, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack

Performance Mods: Coming Soon

It could possibly be a failing alt but if you never had issues before I doubt that's what it is.

I have only had it hooked up a few hours, and I've only had the truck ~1 month, so I don't want to rule anything out. I guess it wouldn't hurt to load test it and see how it reads. You said you just use the case bolts as your grounding point?

2006 Mustang GT

Audio:2x RF R1200-1D, 2x RF R400-4, 2x RF P1S48, 2x RF T1682c, 2x DC 12" Lvl 3 D2, 1x RF T1652-s, XS Power Batts, Toolmaker blocks, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack

Audio:1x RF R1200-1D, 1x RF R250x4, 2x Sundown 10" SD2, 2x RF P1652, 1x RF P1652-s, Q-logic kickpanels, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack

Nevermind, was going to post more but I deleted it because you have already been told where to start to fix the issue and instead of at least saying that you will try it you want to bicker back and forth. Honestly, i could give 2 shits about how much alt whine you have. I have none, so it's not my problem.

have you tried unplugging one set of rca's yet?

Yeah, I've unplugged, switch them around, about every combo I could think of. Nothing too telling, it stops when they are unplugged, but doesn't follow a certain cable.

2006 Mustang GT

I am very noob....

but he has not upgraded his factory alt ground in a way to introduce the noise, it is still factory.

and the whine occurs when he starts the car, not when he stresses the alternator.

some wires somewhere are touching that shouldnt be

No but he has introduced an increased demand which stresses his electrical without upgrading the return path. The positive run is just as important as the negative, but people overlook the importance of grounding the alt.

I am very noob....

but he has not upgraded his factory alt ground in a way to introduce the noise, it is still factory.

and the whine occurs when he starts the car, not when he stresses the alternator.

some wires somewhere are touching that shouldnt be

No but he has introduced an increased demand which stresses his electrical without upgrading the return path. The positive run is just as important as the negative, but alot of people overlook the importance of the negative and grounding the alt.

Archived