front stage to keep up with 4 HDC4-15's on 10k

Andrew Storlie

ok baiscly im wokring on a plan to build into my jeep, i just dropped the money on 4 15" HDC4 and 2 q1-4500d.1 amps... i was wondering what all would be needed in front stage to keep up with that at full tilt?

i only have the front doors of a 2004 jeep grand cherokee to work with. so far im thinking 2-8" 8ohm crescendo PWX, a 6.5" 4ohm PWX and 2 FT1 4ohm tweets for EACH side. ill be running 2 Q4-90s.

Ratings:

SPEAKERS

8"pwx 200rms each

6.5pwx 150rms each

ft1 tweet 80rms each

AMP

4ohm-90rmsx4ch

2ohm-130rmsx4ch

bridged 4ohm 260rmsx2ch

wiring will go as listed.....

LEFT DOOR

2-8" 8ohm PWX parallel to 4ohm on bridged 1/2 channel of amp 1 (260rms to the pair at 4ohms)

6" 4ohm PWX in channel 1 of amp 2 (90rms at 4ohm)

2-FT1 4ohm parallel to 2ohms on channel 3 of amp 2

RIGHT DOOR

2-8" 8ohm PWX parallel to 4ohm on bridged 3/4 channel of amp 1 (260rms to the pair at 4ohms)

6" 4ohm PWX in channel 2 of amp 2 (90rms at 4ohm)

2-FT1 4ohm parallel to 2ohms on channel 4 of amp 2

same on each door, just put to different channels

VIEWS, THOUGHTS, ADVICE... all welcomed... i just wanna make sure that would be enough to keep up and hear the music or if im dead wrong.

and any advice on good EQ's for the highs? and what i would tune it at. the subs will be tuned at 37hz 16.75ft^3 wall

ok baiscly im wokring on a plan to build into my jeep, i just dropped the money on 4 15" HDC4 and 2 q1-4500d.1 amps... i was wondering what all would be needed in front stage to keep up with that at full tilt?

i only have the front doors of a 2004 jeep grand cherokee to work with. so far im thinking 2-8" 8ohm crescendo PWX, a 6.5" 4ohm PWX and 2 FT1 4ohm tweets for EACH side. ill be running 2 Q4-90s.

Ratings:

SPEAKERS

8"pwx 200rms each

6.5pwx 150rms each

ft1 tweet 80rms each

AMP

4ohm-90rmsx4ch

2ohm-130rmsx4ch

bridged 4ohm 260rmsx2ch

wiring will go as listed.....

LEFT DOOR

2-8" 8ohm PWX parallel to 4ohm on bridged 1/2 channel of amp 1 (260rms to the pair at 4ohms)

6" 4ohm PWX in channel 1 of amp 2 (90rms at 4ohm)

2-FT1 4ohm parallel to 2ohms on channel 3 of amp 2

RIGHT DOOR

2-8" 8ohm PWX parallel to 4ohm on bridged 3/4 channel of amp 1 (260rms to the pair at 4ohms)

6" 4ohm PWX in channel 2 of amp 2 (90rms at 4ohm)

2-FT1 4ohm parallel to 2ohms on channel 4 of amp 2

same on each door, just put to different channels

VIEWS, THOUGHTS, ADVICE... all welcomed... i just wanna make sure that would be enough to keep up and hear the music or if im dead wrong.

and any advice on good EQ's for the highs? and what i would tune it at. the subs will be tuned at 37hz 16.75ft^3 wall

Just get some pioneer 12 way 6x9s ?

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

run a 80prs for processing since you are going SPL. That would give you eq, time alignment, crossover capabilities.

I would ditch the 3way idea. or I dunno I can't tell from the post if you are going two way or active or what. Make sure you get amps that have pass-through on them.

You most likely don't need dual 8"s, thats my opinion. Take it or leave it.

If you have that much room run a compression tweeter and 1 8" per side or run 2 6.5s instead of the 8".

As far as amplification...probably go with alpine, rockford or the amperage audio 125.4. Look for an amp that can do the power you want at the highest ohm load, I would shoot for rated power at 4ohms and wire your speakers for a 4ohm nominal load. Don't wire down to 2. Also I would keep your ohm load as consistent as possible don't mix and match ohm loads and drivers. It will be harder to tune would be my guess.

also watch out if you plan on using the amplifiers built in crossover if going active. Make sure the crossover point you want is within the range that the crossover for the amp can provide or be tuned to.

Hook up you CC-1 and DD-1 and you set your shit up with some care and time invested and you should be good.

well i wanted to use 8s and all that to make sure i cover the full range until the subs pick up, i do love the pdx amps from alpine but i have an amazing deal on a set of q4-90s, i do plan to get the smd tools to get gains and distortion. I will never use 6x9s but im assuming those were jokes. If 2 6.5s and a single tweet will keep up then Maybe ill do that. The amp obviously has a built in eq for the high pass that ranges from 20hz to 5khz i was thinking putting the mids at 80 and then the tweets will be maxed at the 5k mark, i just wanna make sure its clean sound that is loud and not going to distort, which is why i did those ohms speakers so i could keep the speakers at 70-90% power at full tilt. I might just buy a bunch of speakers and make a mock up of the setup in my garage and see how loud it gets.

• 3 weeks later...

The 8"s will cover the freq. spectrum you are talking about

PWX 8":

Rated 200w RMS

2" Voice Coil
Usable Freq response 70-5100hz
Mounting Depth: 3 11/16"
I would guess your sub is not crossed any lower then say 100 or 150. The 8" pwx does 70. Also the 8" driver has manufacturer claimed usable response up to 5100hz so that means you can cross above the 2.5-3K line and you don't HAVE to load the tweeter next to the midbass. (in my experience crossing higher is usually helpful so you don't have a dip in the human speaking/singing band among other things)
See previous post. (1) 8" and (1) Compression tweeter should be fine (per side). Put two 8"s if you want more midbass fill. Midbass seems to be the area that is always lacking.

well the project is on hold as i build the wall and i work on my daily driver. i do plan to pick up a few pwx's and see what i like, then go from there... the reason i would love to use pwx is because the cones are see thru... i have 4-10's in custom towers i made awhile back with RGB lighting strips hot glued to the basket and the light shines thru the cone, it would be a really nice accent light. shows green in the pics, but will turn any color you pick.

CAM00617.jpgCAM00618.jpgCAM00621.jpgCAM00625.jpg

Archived