Second Skin Audio

wall port tuning help

im building a wall for 4-15" HDC4s, 16.75ft^3 before sub displacment, tuned 37hz, 17in^2 per cube port area. each sub will be running of a BC3500d from crescendo.

so far my box design... will simply sliding the port to the center and putting 2 subs on each side effect the tuning if i keep the port length and area the same? i like the look of center ports alot more then driver side ports......

Wall_center.jpg

People go with driver side port because it meters better on passenger side. If you never plan on metering you could go center port.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Mostly likely.

You will probably have to lengthen it some to get your port tuning where you want it.

No matter what you do it would probably be best to cut your port long and then test & trim until you get the tuning where you want. A lot of factors affect port tuning and not all of them can be accounted for on paper.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

im building a wall for 4-15" HDC4s, 16.75ft^3 before sub displacment, tuned 37hz, 17in^2 per cube port area. each sub will be running of a BC3500d from crescendo.

so far my box design... will simply sliding the port to the center and putting 2 subs on each side effect the tuning if i keep the port length and area the same? i like the look of center ports a lot more then driver side ports......

If your gross volume stays the same and you place the port in the middle you will need to add a second port wall, that would reduce your net volume and increase your tuning a little.

Now what's your concern with tuning accuracy? Do you intend to compete? If you are just using this for music listening a 2Hz difference is not going make or break your experience with the box. I would be way more concerned with gas mileage in your case.

so far my box design... will simply sliding the port to the center and putting 2 subs on each side effect the tuning if i keep the port length and area the same? i like the look of center ports a lot more then driver side ports......

If your gross volume stays the same and you place the port in the middle you will need to add a second port wall, that would reduce your net volume and increase your tuning a little.

Now what's your concern with tuning accuracy? Do you intend to compete? If you are just using this for music listening a 2Hz difference is not going make or break your experience with the box. I would be way more concerned with gas mileage in your case.

yea i know my gas is dead... my friends dad owns 11 gas stations so i basicly get gas for free. no im not competing this is for listening and show. i will meter it but just to know what im actually hitting.

ok so say i place port in center, i keep the 30" tall x 9" wide port what should i do for length? i have PLENTY of room to make the box deeper in order to maintain the 4ft^3 per sub.

Archived