Second Skin Audio

help with subbox RF P3D4 12"

Hey guys, I Currently have a slot ported box (my first build) wich doesnt look that nice becuase i made a mistake during the build and i think with a new box i'm gonna get more spl and sq.

I'm going for a "SQL" build so i was planing on rebuildig a box and trying out some aeroports instead so i've just come here to ask your oppinion on the desing and port placement and such and maybe recommend a tuning for me? also should i have the subs fire in to car or the ports?

Anyhow the car im working on is a 02 bmw 328ci (coupe) so space is Really limited but i got the last box in and its way bigger then what im planing on making this time.

also my first post and will follow up on the build later.

First Dessing

tumblr_nmhyv446RG1usuikro1_1280.png

Second Specs

tumblr_nmhyun4PIN1usuikro1_500.png

Its highly unlikely that two 4" aero ports are going to be enough port are for two 12" subs. What exact subs are you using and what amp?

You probably aren't going to be able to fit your aero ports directly behind your subs like you have planned.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Its highly unlikely that two 4" aero ports are going to be enough port are for two 12" subs. What exact subs are you using and what amp?

You probably aren't going to be able to fit your aero ports directly behind your subs like you have planned.

Rockford Fosgate 12" p3d4 and a gas competition 3500w @ 1ohm (1.6k @ 4ohm) amp!

and according to the measurments its gonna be a really tight fit but it will be manage able but yeah if you have any better idea to fit the two ports i would appreciate it

I think you are probably going to have to use a slot port. Two 4" ports isn't enough, you would need four 4" ports, and then they would have to be around 26" long each. Its probably impossible to fit that.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I think you are probably going to have to use a slot port. Two 4" ports isn't enough, you would need four 4" ports, and then they would have to be around 26" long each. Its probably impossible to fit that.

are you sure you're not trolling me? becuase this is the box adviser from rf them selfs for a singel sub ported box

tumblr_nmjg7m8MUX1usuikro1_540.png

are you sure you're not trolling me? becuase this is the box adviser from rf them selfs for a singel sub ported box

Sadly, manufacturers don't always give good recommendations for box specs, and this is a good example of that. There are several aspects of that design that I consider to be sub-optimal.

You know what, if you don't want to take my word for it, that's fine, you can find this stuff out for yourself. Its always good to get second opinions. Downloand WinISD, plug all the specs in, and see what it tells you your port velocity will be on 1600 watts with two 4" ports. I show it as being about 55 m/sec. You don't want to go over 30 m/sec and keeping it down in the lower 20s m/sec would be even better.

Or you can just build the box how it is and find out just how bad the port noise and compression are going to be. Then you will most likely get to enjoy building it again.

Builds:

Sadly, manufacturers don't always give good recommendations for box specs, and this is a good example of that. There are several aspects of that design that I consider to be sub-optimal.

You know what, if you don't want to take my word for it, that's fine, you can find this stuff out for yourself. Its always good to get second opinions. Downloand WinISD, plug all the specs in, and see what it tells you your port velocity will be on 1600 watts with two 4" ports. I show it as being about 55 m/sec. You don't want to go over 30 m/sec and keeping it down in the lower 20s m/sec would be even better.

Or you can just build the box how it is and find out just how bad the port noise and compression are going to be. Then you will most likely get to enjoy building it again.

okay there's one problem with that and its that i own a mac and dont have windows installed on it and theres only mac computers here otherwise i would do that (and i would use torres box calc) so you see that's why im comming here, do you think a side mounted 6" port would do it to get the tuning down to areound 35-36 hz and keep the airflow good enough or should i make my own 8-10" aeroport? im not sure if i wanna go with a slot port again since that takes up so much space that i can barely get box in my car (trust me it was a pain to get the slot ported box in)

i actually have a new box slot port plan aswell but i cant remember the tuning or specs of this box tho but i thought i might post it anyway to hear your oppinion on it

tumblr_nmjoj6xIhj1usuikro1_540.png

Well you need about 50 sq in of port area to keep port velocities where they should be. How you get that is up to you. You could use four 4" ports or two 6" port, or a slot port of some kind.

Builds:

Archived