good brand for alarm/remote start

I prefer Compustar product myself. I use and install them everyday. Love the support love the product and the reliability. Pretty much the best stuff out there imo and they have something for everyone, you just don't have 50 variations of the same thing is all.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered a python alarm with smart start (which is cell phone capability). cost $160, then paid my install guy $100 to get it in. theres a yearly service fee required, but was worth it to me. they sell smart key setups aftermarket. having a few cars with push button start, ill tell you that while its a neat feature, its not something id EVER pay extra for. also, most of the aftermarket kits ive seen also require a factory key to be left in the car, so figure that cost in there too. hope that helps!

note: python, viper, and several other makers are owned by same parent company, and are very similar.

ahh ok.. yea ive been reading up on viper's website. im willing to get it all with a 3 year service so i can do it all from my phone.

and im really good with electrical engineering so i figured out a cool way to do a push button for about 50 bucks.

care to share with the rest of the class? Im very interested

its something i did in my OLD 93 maxima... if you open up the key mechanics in your dash... tap wires into 3 spots:

1-accessory turn on

2-RUN

3-Start

run the wires from the acc turn on and RUN to either the same or 2 TOGGLE on/off switches and hide them somewhere easy to reach but out of plain sight.

the run a the wire from START to a momentary push button and locate it on your dash where you want a push start button.

THEN when you hop in the car, flip the toggles for you acc on run, thus giving your car power. then push the start button, you NEVER have to even put in the key.

you want to hide the toggles so some random person cant just turn on your car and drive away...

you can still use the key if you want

and you wanna really have fun hide the push button in a place were you can reach it while your sitting normal.

then while your sitting there with a passanger... tell them to be quite, then out loud say "car start"... while at the same time flipping the toggle and hitting the hidden push start button making everyone think you have a VOICE command start that is only programmed to start with your voice. LOL

EDIT: if you have a car that uses a mirco chip or other good security this all might not work with out at least putting the key in the ignition.

This will not work on any chipped key vehicle (so anything made in the past ~15+ years lol). But this is essentially what push button kits do. The difference, as chetmanley said, you'll have to bury a key in the dash. When the button is pushed, it'll excite the chip in the key and send that code up to the key cylinder tricking the car into thinking the key is inserted. Exactly the same thing needs to be done with remote start.

As everyone has said, any system made by DEI or Compustar is a solid choice. I've installed hundreds of both. Probably four digits of Vipers. I have a Viper in my car and a Compustar in my girlfriends. It was just about what I could get the cheapest at the time. First, is it manual or automatic transmission? If it's stick shift, then Compustar no question. Their shutdown procedure (reservation mode) is much easier and more natural than Viper's. And their DAS sensor is friggin nice.

As for cost:

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-4105V-1-Way-Remote-System/dp/B00CLE47V6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430361537&sr=8-1&keywords=4105v

http://www.amazon.com/XpressKit-DBALL2-Databus-Bypass-Module/dp/B00H2PHSY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430361550&sr=8-1&keywords=dball2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-vsm200-2-way-smartstart-module-for-viper-electronic-security-systems-and-geek-squad-installation/9999173600050000.p?id=pcmprd173300050000&skuId=9999173600050000 (includes installation for this one part in the price. cheaper than amazon)

Plus labor. The $100 that chetmanley mentioned is certainly on the light side. Expect more like $175-$200.

This is a good deal too. Includes everything you need and installation is a snap (for a professional I guess).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compustar-t-harness-remote-start-kit-for-most-dodge-jeep-and-chrysler-vehicles-black-orange/1654966.p?id=1219058302844&skuId=1654966

Then you'd just add on the Drone module for cell phone support, which is ~$150.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

you just don't have 50 variations of the same thing is all.

This is why Ive been wanting to try compustar myself, but I really dont feel like messing with the crap..

PS: you should of brought back your old name :(

I didnt know how, because it was a used name. If you can change it i wouldnt mind, if not im all good with this one as well.

Had Compustar in early 2k's and LOVED it, never a problem, was the best around back then IMO.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived