The non-typical super computer.

Playstations-in-Racks.jpg

This has been done a couple times now with PS3s because of the cpu and gpu. Pretty cool stuff, think it was done by a physicist at UMass Dartmouth. 420 PS3s and not sure what he was using it for but it was top 10 in the world or something like that.

pretty amazing when you think that other supercomputers are made of millions or billions of dollars worth of hardware. Gotta love technology.

Top 10 known supercomputers. Known is the key.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Top 10 known supercomputers. Known is the key.

hah well yea, although if there was a van that did 240db and no one metered it or heard it...kinda takes a little bit away from it.

There was a cool documentary on vice about a bitcoin mining operation in China. Absolutely ridiculous. Its a 24x7 facility with the admins sleeping there and their "chillers" are huge fans on either end of a warehouse...no a/c....reliability is uh..."somewhat" of a concern.

Also I just thought it was cool that they were using cheaper hardware to still get the job done. There was an article a little while back about this thing changing the cost of research from it dramatically. Allowing people to do weather and physics modeling without having to get million dollar grants from the government or university. Always like to see stuff like that.

The issue with this is you're defining cost based on hardware. Not many hours to set it up cost of infrastructure things like that. The overall cost of this is still going to be close to millions.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

point taken and yea I was talking about merely hardware costs.

But any super computer, least the ones I have read about all run their own OS or system. Its the nature of those systems, you can't really run it on a standard OS so the software cost is always going to be high.

A cool concept nonetheless.

The one huge issue I see with thing would be longevity. A PS3 is not meant to run 24x7 365. And with new sony platforms coming out you lose any factory support you would have for it.

The loudest sound possible (on earth) is 194dB.

I don't think the point in an exaggeration is to be factual. But yes you are correct. On saturn it would be different apparently.

Love that answer lmfao. What was this set up doing? Also bit coin mining? That is fucking amazing nevertheless.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Don't know exactly but it was built by a guy at UMass Dartmouth whole is a physcist. I am guessing something having to do with physic modeling which sounds super simplistic but I'm not sure what area of physics he studies.

But no, not bitcoin.

We'll leave that to crazy chinese guys who think ambient cooling is cool for servers (see vice special)

Archived