Help fix my voltage (bigmizzle99's Altima)!! UPDATE: Solved!

I have voltage issues in my Altima. Tell me if this sounds familiar….

The voltage in my Altima varies whenever I'm driving…its drops to as low as 10.9V and only as high as 13.4V. It varies even when I'm not listening to music, just not as bad as when I'm listening full tilt.

I have stock alternator (which I believe is 180 Amp) and stock battery and an RF R1200 and an RF R400 amp installed. The voltage jumps all over the place (computer controlled I guess) and doesn’t stay constant.

Will a new higher output alternator fix that computer controlled nonsense as well as provide the power I need?

Or can I "fix" this with new battery under hood and/or battery in trunk?

Need suggestions before I spend !! $$$$

volt meter connected to buss bars in trunk. I wanted to know what the voltage was right before amps. I might try troubleshooting a little more and use my DMM to measure at battery under hood and then at buss bars. Maybe the voltmeter sucks ?! dunno...its not cheap garbage but its not a VM-1 either.

That's just really low. I wouldn't think it should get that low before the alternator gets turned back on. How long does it take to get from 13.x to 10.x? Does it get that low with the system not playing too?

Never without system playing. It flashes down that low, then ramps back up again. I hear ya on the behavior part...seems crappy to me too. I was thinking a better more capable battery would be a good start....XS Power. I can fit a D5100R under the hood.

I was hoping to get opinions from the forum whether upgrading the battery *might* help this. A better battery is an all around good idea anyway...so I might just do it.

Just looking for feedback. I know Wood upgraded his Altima alternator but mine model alt is buried at the bottom. Plus my car is a lease....

Yeah the battery could be why it's dropping so low. It's worth a shot. Better than buying a alternator for a vehicle you're not keeping. But that won't change the fact that the pcm stops the alternator from running for short periods of time

Archived