PicoWrecker 10" Tapped Horn Build

Please do a video of it doing some home wrecking when its done lol :)

I'll see what I can do.

I have a couple other sub designs I need to build and then I'm going to measure the output of them all and do a little comparison. I'll be sure to post the results.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally got enough projects that needed Duratex-ing to make it worth getting out the Duratex gun. Anyway, here it is, fresh applied:

uHjLM3M.jpg

Just have to wait for it to dry and then I can throw the driver back in and it will be ready to rock!

I may stick it in my Jeep for a bit just to see what its like :-)

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

This may be a silly question, but that duratex looks like pretty cool stuff, whats involved in using and spraying it? is it a hard finish or something like a soft touch?

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Duratex is pretty awesome stuff, its my favorite way to finish a subwoofer enclosure. Its made specifically for speaker boxes and is whats used on many professional PA cabinets. Once it fully dries its very hard and very durable.

I spray mine on using a $25 Harbor Freight texture gun and an air compressor. You can also brush or roll it on, most people roll it on using a special foam roller that gives it a nice texture, much like truck bed liner. I used to roll it on, but the spray gun is faster and gives me a wider range of textures to pick from.

So far I've only ever used black, but it comes in white too and can be tinted to whatever color you want. Its water-based and has almost no odor, so its very pleasant to work with.

Builds:

Duratex is pretty awesome stuff, its my favorite way to finish a subwoofer enclosure. Its made specifically for speaker boxes and is whats used on many professional PA cabinets. Once it fully dries its very hard and very durable.

I spray mine on using a $25 Harbor Freight texture gun and an air compressor. You can also brush or roll it on, most people roll it on using a special foam roller that gives it a nice texture, much like truck bed liner. I used to roll it on, but the spray gun is faster and gives me a wider range of textures to pick from.

So far I've only ever used black, but it comes in white too and can be tinted to whatever color you want. Its water-based and has almost no odor, so its very pleasant to work with.

Where were you, LOL, jk

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196855-acry-tech-coatings/

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Did you do the port with it as well?

Yeah, somewhat. I give everything a sealer coat of flat black paint before I spray the Duratex. So some of what's at the back of the port is just black paint, but the first 12" or so got a pretty good coat of Duratex. I do the coat of black paint because the wood tends to soak up a lot on the first coat and Duratex is $70 a gallon and black paint is $20. I know a lot of guys that just go straight to the Duratex though, its self-priming.

Lol, obviously I wan't paying good enough attention! If I would have known about that I would have been in that thread singing Duratex's praises.

I learned about stuff from the DIY home audio community. Its pretty much the go-to finish for a lot of those guys and has a long history of excellent performance among them.

Builds:

So you are able to Achieve a pretty smooth texture with it then?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

So you are able to Achieve a pretty smooth texture with it then?

Yeah I am. The last picture I posted makes it pretty hard to see, I'll take a close up of the finish so you can better see what it looks like. It has some texture to it, but its very smooth.

Builds:

Awesome. If you don't mind me asking, what are the external dimensions? Just trying to get an idea of size. And what is the line tuned to? Fs?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Archived