2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2019 at 11:23 AM, 2loud4uboyz said:

Just saying because I liked what I seen and how you did it and took your time do so. And used materials I wish I could afford. Really good job. Very clean thumbs up to you. 

Thanks man. This is my first time with these materials, i have always tried to be budget orientated on projects. I did a lot of experimenting on my 03 Lancer that i am applying here, like sound deadening, speaker prep & placement, amplifying & Tuning. I wanted a killer sound deadened platform to start from and this is probably the one chance i had to do it to this vehicle so i jumped on it.

Updates: I got the Flu, but trying to fiddle fuck a bit on the system.

IMG_0904_zps6nd1lg70.jpgApplying Seam tape to area's were Butyl rubber  could rub off on back side of carpet or foam. I recommend using the tape. I couldn't find plain black foil tape. Seems no one makes it, Dynamat is the closest which is why i use it. 

IMG_0909_zpshftskiwi.jpgOnly a couple area's that need tape, for the most part all the seams are really nice when using the SoundSkins.

IMG_0907_zpsuypn8qww.jpg

IMG_0905_zpsnltdm9pn.jpg

IMG_0910_zpsflce0vdk.jpg

IMG_0906_zps0mucutfe.jpgI put foam where the console bolts on to reduce noise.

IMG_0900_zps5l0h9wpk.jpgNow to remove HU. It wasn't a bad HU for $180, i finally found the crossover section for tuning. Been to long since i had a Kenwood i guess. 

IMG_0901_zpsnwmekmjw.jpgHU out i can pull the Loc and RCA's. Need new SQ RCA's and redo Pac w/ steering wheel controls.

IMG_0908_zpstg3o6hg4.jpgEverything out.

IMG_0903_zps9qcfoslq.jpgTesa taped factory wiring to look better.

IMG_0911_zpsorahcfyk.jpgNot much left to do and ready to put carpet back in.  I like how GM has made up the carpet and insulating pad. Three layer's : Carpet with a rubber backing for waterproofing and then foam for insulation.  i don't remember much floor noise before, doors are solid too. Pretty much everything in the rear & roof.  I hoping after these efforts and expense it's a pretty quiet  ride. 

IMG_0912_zpsmstm9jx0.jpgMy Lancer's carpet did not look this advanced so this is first experience with this new of a vehicle. I am more use to 70's, 80's, 90's Jeep cherokee Sport was my last new vehicle before the Lancer. And now the Malibu.

UPDATE:  Cleaning interior to re-install.

IMG_0916_zpsxbcofhew.jpgKind of a ugly rear deck panel. Looks like a Angry Bird w/ glasses! ? LOL Started cleaning up the panels to go back in today. 

IMG_0919_zpsb9o6ivpl.jpgPassenger side. Panels are in good condition for the most part. Where the wife & boy sat took a beating. Women and kids are just plain hard on shit. 

IMG_0920_zpswkck6kpz.jpgDriver side. This being a LS and bottom of the line you can tell on these panels. Just not real clean and free of flaws from the manufacturer. Then again i think the MSRP was $22,000 and the wife picked it up for $16,000 with trade in so i guess it's what you'd expect.  ?

IMG_0921_zpsheswd1eu.jpgI cleaned all the doors and jams of heavy debris and even though they look ok i will have to hand polish to remove tar splatters and stains.

IMG_0922_zpskcpn3l6d.jpgThis week will be cleaning the Malibu up. Seat belt is suppose to be here Wednesday, $314.00 lesson. Tape or card board seat belt's to stop them from retracting before removal. When i told the parts guys the Belt Re-tractor went into  "Reverse Lock Out" he didn't sound surprised so he knew what happened.

IMG_0923_zpsn6hakesx.jpgCarpet back in. Fits nice, no issues.

IMG_0926_zpsx70r6yyj.jpgI plan to shampoo the carpets again and work on a couple trouble area's. First round was a pretty light washing. I will get the rear deck put back together but i am  in no hurry to put everything in just in case. LOL Hoping to win a little in Vegas to buy some more deadening, Back up camera, RCA's, Wiring, DSP, Amps...... Just a small wish list.

IMG_0927_zps8x14nbcg.jpgTime to clean up the door jams. 

IMG_0928_zpsbwxne5ej.jpgKick marks from heels. Tar splatter marks roads.

IMG_0930_zpskok8k5px.jpgCleaned up nicely. I concentrated on the jams and will clean the door's better when i pull the panels off for soundskins.

IMG_0931_zpsknc8rolb.jpgAll jams cleaned.

IMG_0932_zpsdp7seurs.jpgnow to work on the center console.

IMG_0933_zpslsxdyhao.jpgPull this nasty, sticky factory black tape off.

IMG_0937_zpsyxmwickx.jpgYou can see the resin on the wires, nasty shit! 

IMG_0939_zpsqnsrnsvw.jpgThats better.

IMG_0938_zps0whoteim.jpgI disassembled the console for a deep cleaning. Good as new now.

IMG_0943_zpsyggezbxq.jpgThe cleaning inspired me to wash it by hand.

IMG_0947_zpsf0el23vr.jpgWhich of course lead to hand polishing it.

IMG_0956_zpstwfrfjt4.jpg

IMG_0952_zpskddoqxsw.jpgThat was needed, i have never polished it. Front end is not done in this pic, the hood is though which is why its up. 

Now i know where every imperfection is! Most on the drivers side, i hate that shit. Who care what's going on over on the passenger side that i don't ever see.  Cars solid and way better than the Lancer should be a fun build.

4 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Damn taping up the center console. Your going all out man looking great !!

Thanks, Tape broke when i was pulling it out and noticed it was that sticky shit. I did it to help keep it clean, and to look better. 

Well judging by this page only, I will be starting a page 1 and doing a read through of this entire build. Man the attention to detail that i see just here is insane. Good work bud.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES: Back and ready to get shit done.  Malibu needs put back together and the Lancer needs new bearing & axle. Work should start back up in a month or so and the list is getting longer of shit that needs to get done.

IMG_1013_zpsrbzz2vgt.jpg

Scored 6 more rolls of SoundSkins so you know what that means.... Headliners coming down for treatment.

IMG_1014_zpscor3pfon.jpg

About to remove headliner and get something started. I have enough SoundSkins to do the Roof,  finish the Trunk floor, Front Door inner skin and Panel. Rear door outer skin.

SoundSkins weighs 6 lbs per roll. If i use all the product i have purchased i will have added 60 lbs to the car. I believe i will need one more roll for rear inner Panels for a total of 11 rolls @ 66 lbs added weight. Pretty much the weight of one extra battery but you get a silent ride with this product. Performance over weight you gain tons with this product. 

I would guess i have 60-70 lbs of deadening between the Stinger Road Kill Extreme, Second skin Damplifier & Damp Pro.

That would put the total weight roughly around 125 lbs of sound deaden material. If i were able to do a redo i would have gone with all second skin product. it is better and lighter imo than the Stinger Road Kill. I would have mixed the damp and damp pro up more and would have loved to try the Luxury liner products as well. But i did commit to the SoundSkins and i don't think it was a mistake just a choice to go in this direction with there product. I hope i applied it properly to get the results i am looking for but i won't know until it's up and running again.  Torn on which direction to take this build,  It can sit all summer and wait for me to pile up the goodies or i could throw it together to have tunes for the summer? I was thinking of pulling the T3 tweeters from the Lancer to go the the mid-range in the Malibu. Passive with rear fill and the sub. Super simple set up for me to learn to tune since i suck at it. lol 

Enough BS, time to work.

Archived