2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

3 hours ago, bsneon98 said:

looking awesome man! truly love the details you put into builds! 

Thanks man. Hows your system holding up?

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Thanks man. Hows your system holding up?

Systems doing great, in fact my xp 750 has been my saving grace getting the car started. budgets been tight so new battery will have to wait. plus now looks like inner tie rod and other shit is making noise, so its been parked for a couple weeks. been enjoying some boost and a sunroof in the meantime :) 

4 hours ago, bsneon98 said:

Systems doing great, in fact my xp 750 has been my saving grace getting the car started. budgets been tight so new battery will have to wait. plus now looks like inner tie rod and other shit is making noise, so its been parked for a couple weeks. been enjoying some boost and a sunroof in the meantime :)

Nice... hopefully you get everything fixed and in good running order.

spacer.png

Starting to think about electrical system, landed on amp inputs and pulled out what i had to mock up.

spacer.png

SHCA 0-4 awg reducers. Sleek diameter keeps the + & - further apart.

spacer.png

this style is larger and really solid! It makes the connection really close. Taped them off last time i used them so the 2/0 heat shrink will look much better. 

spacer.png

Side by side comparison. I accidentally stripped the SHCA one, oops but it is pretty thin aluminum. The one on the left came from toolmaker about 5 yrs ago and its solid. These are the inputs for the FR T-1500.   

I grabbed the amp to see what the difference was.

spacer.png

spacer.png

SHCA 0-4 AWG reducers.

spacer.png

Its better than i thought. Not sure why i didn't like them. huh?

spacer.png

I don't know much about amplifiers, i have limited experiences with different brands but have had a few generation RF equipment and always be happy with it. This amp was $600 and the most i have spent on a amp to date. When i swapped this amp with the SQ SI-2250 it was night and day. SQ amps moves the subs but i can not tune it to save my life. HU same just new amp, the T1500 was dynamic & musical. The SQ amp is pretty flat sounded. I think after i get this system set up i would be interested in replacing all the amps for better one but i need to finish this upgrade before i start planning the next!  Fuck!!! I'm a audio junky!!! 

Working on sub enclosure speaker terminals.

spacer.png

I need to find my lug crimper , need to buy a new one.

spacer.png

Now to rotozip enclosure for terminal cup.

spacer.png

This lug crimp er goes down to 4 awg so i couldn't use it.

spacer.png

So i soldered them.

spacer.png

Turned out solid as fuck!

spacer.png

looks good on the SMD set up.

spacer.png

Now to enlarge that hole.

spacer.png

Rotozip and dremel to make it a good fit.

spacer.png

Nice upgrade IMO.

Need to solder up wires going to the sub, pull sub down to look for inputs into it. Just put--in around. Getting ready to order wiring & tools.

It's nice to have the "right tool for the Job" huh ...

Awesome Work Brother.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I kinda hate that I did the old nut and bolt setup for my box, but using wing nuts it only takes 2 minutes to remove all 4. Was also before the time of his quick release but its such a great idea... one day ill do what you did. looks great man! 

spacer.png

Starting a materials list.

spacer.png

I don't have any 8 awg ferrules for sub and amp inputs.

spacer.png

Speaker wire in enclosure will get the Tesa treatment and some foam to keep it from vibrating.

spacer.png

This is a s much as i can do this weekend. I ordered $300 worth of wiring from SHCA, and $150 from amazon,  tools and misc shit. Ordering today means usually everything's here by Thursday.  Baby steps for the next 14 weeks, got to get everything i need before then!  Every week it has to be something!!!! 

Archived