2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

spacer.pngout with the old.

spacer.png

Baby steps to this...

spacer.png

Next level. First set up was around 1K, this will be closer to 2K.

spacer.png

Fun to build, wish i could have finished it. 

spacer.png

Nice to see what i am learning and applying it. Always trying to make it better.

spacer.png

I picked up a roll of SoundSkins this week. Also ordered 10 sq ft Second Skin for the rear doors. I would like to have a couple rolls of SoundSkins lying around when build time comes. Rear doors, Trunk Lid, plus lots of interior panels to do to make this as deadened as possible. This is roll 13 i think? I would have to look back for the  exact account.

This weeks goodies came in and as always happy with what i bought and excited to put it to use or install.

spacer.png

Second skin kit showed up Tuesday. Rear doors need a couple sheets and then the SoundSkin treatment. I truly believe  after investing  so much time & money i would be nuts not to treat the rear doors. I want this bitch silent as can be.

spacer.png

I have choices on materials when it come to trying to silence them rattles, which my ears are hyper tuned in to listen for and i hate it! But i guess it is also the ability to enjoy the music also. 3 different size thickness speaker foam 1/16, 1/8 & 3/16.  3 rolls of Tesa interior tape, plus 2 rolls of high temp exterior tape. 

spacer.png

I bought a IWiss HX-50BI (8-1/0 awg) Cable Lug Crimping Tool for the 8 awg ferrules need on sub speaker wires. Plus the one i have is in need of repair. This was $25, and the 22-7 awg crimping tool & kit was $23 so it  picks up where the other kit doesn't go as low of gauge wire to crimp.

spacer.png

This SHCA wire order is a nice sight to see. 8 awg Ferrules and speaker location kit. Spendy order but needed. I still need the big 4 and other stuff!

spacer.png

I thought about buying a spool of 1/0 awg but it seemed like more than i needed. Plus with the kit i think you get more bang for buck! Thank You SHCA!!!

Plan to work on the speaker wires this weekend and order more shit. Which battery's to get?  I want XS but could i get away with a couple good AGM battery's for the local parts store? I don't want to be cheap but this one is expensive,  the stock alt is 150 amps but would like a Singer 220 amp H. O. Alt too. ??? 

spacer.pngEverything in this drawer i purchased this summer. All for car audio & this install.

spacer.png

I used the 8 awg SHCA ferrules and this crimping tool for the sub inputs.

spacer.png

Crimped nicely. I was torn between cutting the extra wire off or tinning it.

spacer.png

So i soldered the ferrules and then ground them square w/ a dremel.  These are crimped solid i just had to solder them though! lol

Now to wrap them in Tesa tape, foam wire @ hanger locations. Can't finish enclosure because i don't have a plan yet. All i have been able to do is buy now and decide later exactly how it will turn out. Baby steps.

spacer.png

Wrapped 8 awg in Tesa tape.

spacer.png

Looking at materials to mount speaker wire and keep it quiet.

spacer.png

I will use speaker gasket foam at the hangers & in between to eliminate wire noise.

spacer.png

I used some heavy duty heat shrink in the transition from tesa tape to wire. 

spacer.png

Pretty much finished with the sub wire for now. I like how it turned out.

spacer.png

Time to pull the 4 awg out. Looking at XS batterys and plan to pull the trigger by the end of this month. For now clean this mess up and get everything prepped that i can.

spacer.png

All out and vacuumed off!

spacer.png

RF 4 awg OFC wire will get reused.

Lancer in the back ground. Another beauty day, about 6 days of rain in the last 3 months, highest temps i have seen since 1971. Use to be like this when i was young. Nice to have it back.  70-80 degrees daily!!!! 

spacer.png

SHCA 1/0 AWG OFC Big 3 showed up this week. Just another small piece of the puzzle.

spacer.png

SHCA Heat shrink label kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sub label is a nice touch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And of course enough to do the job and then some.

So i have been hunting down a company to sell and ship a XS Power D3400 Battery to ALASKA and fuck has it been tough. 

Only place i found was SSA Store and i paid a shit ton for shipping but what else was i to do. I really didn't want to run another brand. Anyway hope to get that by the end of the week.

I am thinking about limitless lithium cell in the trunk. Ordering this battery was a big one to cross off the list. Just wish we had a dealer up here to have cut the cost down some. Oh well it's done, now to wait for arrival!

Battery update:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The XS Power D3400 showed up today. Fedex said it would be delivered at the end of the work day but at 3:40 when i checked the progress it was delivered @ noon.  So i asked my boss( my oldest Brother) if i could run home to grab the package( i live 3 minutes from work) and glad i did. I live in a good neighborhood but when i got home the Battery was shipped in its Original XS Box. WTF... This battery cost my $465.!!!!!  Shipping was the $165 and the Battery was $300. OUCH !!!!! I would have hoped it could have been put in plain box. My dash pad for the Lancer came in too. Double score .

Super excited to have this battery, Lancer has Kenetic Energy battery's and i was never really happy with there performance so glad i got the best in the market IMO. 

Looking at a LimitLess Lithium Cell.  I would like the 45 AH but has a $1000 price tag where the 25 AH was $700.  The hole system will be around 2800 watts, but i might upgrade in the future and i want the power to not ever be an issue. Not sure if i can swing a Singer alt this year so the factory 150 amp will have to do but next year for sure!

More to shop in the next 2 weeks. for now i need to save up for the 45 AH lol

spacer.png

I stacked all the goodies i have and added it up. The trunk is holding $2870.00 worth of equipment & materials. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have never had this many goodies saved up to go into a project.

spacer.png

And a couple hundred dollars in tools. 

Lithium battery , Battery terminals for both battery's is the next big hurdle financially. Probably a grand there.   

Archived