2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

Keep using that oil , that’s all I run and you should be good , it’s not a bad engine but have done a lot of chains on those mostly do to shit oil , they have issues with the upper chain guide falling off causing slack and cam coralation codes . Also I’ve seen those exhaust manifolds crack in half. In fact it’s probably the best engine GM makes and not  Bullshitten. Great build I like the SQ stuff.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, Ron36 said:

Keep using that oil , that’s all I run and you should be good , it’s not a bad engine but have done a lot of chains on those mostly do to shit oil , they have issues with the upper chain guide falling off causing slack and cam coralation codes . Also I’ve seen those exhaust manifolds crack in half. In fact it’s probably the best engine GM makes and not  Bullshitten. Great build I like the SQ stuff.

Thanks man! i thought you where fucking with me since i have bought so much shit for it. I did not know about the timing chain issues. The car has 52,000 little old lady miles on it. My wife drives way to slow!  She had the lifetime oil change w/ the dealer so that has been taken care of regularly. Now that it is mine i will stick with Royal Purple products in it. 

I have noticed this engine in this car has few mods you can buy but in other models there are more options. I am not looking for high performance but some performance would be nice. Especially after adding 300 lbs to the car. Suspension, rims & tires next summer. Any other info on that engine would be appreciated. Thank you sir!

Air filter showed up today.

spacer.png

41PgHdwjXjL._SX90_.jpg
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
Return eligible through Nov 29, 2019

I had to look at my order again because i thought i bought a air filter from Magna Flow exhaust makers. Trickery of word play and me shopping late at night. lol I will try out.

spacer.png
Some interior LED replacement lights. Ordered for the Lancer too. I have never messed with lighting in the car before. I might have to look into something simple but customized.

I am starting to map out power runs under the hood so i wanted to start dressing up the engine bay some.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Prepped and primer on engine cover.

spacer.png

I have some other white accents & decals for the engine bay. It all started with that big ass XS Power battery under there. I could have left it plain looking but i thought i could come up with something a bit better. This is just a start but you get the idea.

spacer.png

Interior LED bulbs showed up yesterday. Bright  as hell compared to the darkened stock bulb!

spacer.png

I wanted some accent lighting up front, now to find a good spot for the tiny lights. I got 4 small ones for up front and 3 of the larger style for the rear or trunk. 

spacer.png

Been busy doing the honey do list so trying to squeeze some time in where i can. Mainly just trying to come up with a plan of attack. Under the hood prep and power runs is priority, plus finishing the deadening process just so i can say i have something done.  With housework and the holidays the majority of this work won't begin until the new year but i will keep  posting updates. Thanks for the support guys!

Wish I had your patience,  engine cover looks good.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

22 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

Wish I had your patience,  engine cover looks good.

Thanks but my wife would disagree. I plan to wet sand or paint the ECOTEC lettering & Lines so they are black. I guess i should pull the chip out and some of the tune up parts and do a little at a time. Jumped right into house chores and haven't had much down time.

Oh geez ... more parts. 

Just Kidding my brother. You got my attention 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

57 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Oh geez ... more parts. 

Just Kidding my brother. You got my attention 

No worries brother! I guess when the money runs out i won't be able to buy anymore parts. And i will have to get something done.

spacer.png

Time to install tune up parts and Chip.

spacer.png

I have these in the Lancer, see how they perform in a GM design.

spacer.png

New coils, threw some decals on them for the hell of it.

spacer.png

Removed computer for chip install. Easy 4 step process, remove windshield reservoir filling tube.  Undo both wiring harness's. Push 2 tabs in mount and slide CPU out of tracking. 

spacer.png

I really had to push hard to get it to lock . I thought shit now i'm gone fuck something up! lol

spacer.png

Back on the car, we'll see if it did anything this spring.

spacer.png

Installing battery but with a better post set up, couldn't stand the way this looked. Brass posts wouldn't thread in all the way. I over tightened the negative side and loosened up the adapter threads on brass post. I bought a whole new set up for the install.

spacer.png

I like working on both cars at the same time. When the Lancer trunk lid is down it's my work bench lol All temp until after the new year, then i will will move the Lancer out and roll the Malibu in center of garage to get serious about working on it.

spacer.png

I like the look of this post set up much better. Simple and low profile.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not much room under the hood. might have to get the set screw style for clearance. we'll see.

spacer.png

Looks way cleaner than the stock terminal clamps. That's what i was going for.

spacer.png

Stock electrical runs.  I cut the factory battery clamps off,  Tesa taped factory power & ground runs. rerouted to look better. SHCA 4 gauge lug crimped on. Still need to finish a bunch of wiring up, install big three, start power runs to rear, put the engine bay back together. hope to get that much done in the next couple weeks.  Once Christmas is over and all cleaned up i will be able to put 8 hrs a day 5 days a week to make some real progress.

spacer.png

I put this fan on the HU to keep it cool during long play times. Which i do often,  sit back all BAKED and listen thinking  damn this sounds good, what the hell is it going to sound like when its finished? Bought the fan off amazon the help keep home theater amplifier cool during movies. Bitch would get hot on long movies and this kept it much cooler.

More work to come soon.

My thoughts are any parts U put on not made by GM are a  plus keep it going. Great build.

Archived