2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

spacer.pngI glued the base of the switch in and installed the button. 

spacer.pngCleaned up the backside with foam and tesa tape to keep it rattle free.

spacer.pngI wanted to hear how the FOCAL 3.5" component set sounded with the T3 real quick...

spacer.pngWell tht lead to relocating the HU back to the dash. Changing out rear speaker wire for longer runs,  towels in corners w/ 3.5" component set aligned.

spacer.pngThese speakers are sounding great on this low power front channel cheap HU. So clean.....Gets surprisingly loud for a few watts per driver. I can only imagine the on the T400-2(160 watts x2 @ 4 ohm) & T400-4 (75watts rms x 4 @ 4 ohm.) I think i will have plenty of headroom. 

spacer.pngSo i really spent most of the day testing & tuning. Front stage sounds correct to me, everything i like is there with nothing i dislike. The Doors are just mind blowing, the T3 can get low and stay clean as hell doing it,  play up pretty high and sounds good and that end as well. I will not be using the FOCAL, too big. looking for neo magnet drivers that are more compact.

I enjoy the rear fill at times too. system sound great either way to me. Everything will change when i amplify the drivers. From there i have learned while tuning to turn gains down lower if need be and adjust crossover points, with a sprinkle of TA before i ever adjust EQ setting. I try to keep eq flat.

I will be buy several tuning tools over the summer to help dial the system in. Polarity tester, PAC tone generator, own a DD-1, RTA , IASCA & MECCA CD's to test system in final tuning phase.(Next summer, lol)

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they still sell them, the USACI Sound Quality disc is all you need for tuning left and right separation, phase, and linearity. It also has a pink noise track for the Audio Control RTA.

The absolute best disc for tuning your EQ is by far Pink Floyd’s The Wall. There’s so much detail in those tracks that’s easily missed by normal listening systems. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

UPDATE:

My  weekly parts/equip order showed up today. Nothing to exciting but useful never the less.

spacer.pngClarks 180 pcs 304 stainless Rivet nut set.  13" Nut/thread setting hand riveter kit.  IRWIN vise-grip self-adjusting wire stripper.

spacer.png

spacer.pngQuality feeling kit. Now i just need a reason to use it. lol

spacer.pngFridays delivery will have more exciting items. Paying myself for not smoking. Been 3 months.

This weeks order finished arriving today. Install and tuning tools.

spacer.pngSet of ferulle's and crimping tool for small gauged wiring.

spacer.png150 ft of 1/16" CCF gasket material and some more panel removal tools.

spacer.pngPolarity phase &  detection tester w/ CD.

spacer.pngBest for last... Pac Tone generator and Polarity tester.  All tools i will learn to use to help with the clean install and quality sound. Gonna be fun. We had a storm hit us that lasted like 6 days and made 2 weeks of work hit and miss so be a couple week before i order again. Until then.

• 1 month later...

Been a minute since i have updated, this showed up yesterday. Super happy  i have this piece, now for a-pillar speakers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This comes with a lot of goodies and i plan to upgrade the function knob to the newer DCR-205.

spacer.png

I paid $455 off Crutchfield with free shipping to AK and received it in 5 days.  Now ti find the mounting location to figure out how long of rca cables to get. Lots to buy by October to have to finish the build this winter. 

7 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

Been a minute since i have updated, this showed up yesterday. Super happy  i have this piece, now for a-pillar speakers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This comes with a lot of goodies and i plan to upgrade the function knob to the newer DCR-205.

spacer.png

I paid $455 off Crutchfield with free shipping to AK and received it in 5 days.  Now ti find the mounting location to figure out how long of rca cables to get. Lots to buy by October to have to finish the build this winter. 

How are you going to figure out aiming?

Haven't thought that far ahead. Vehicle is sound deadened for the most part, rear fill & mid-bass speakers in doors. I would like to try the Illusion audio component set in a-pillars. Use lasers or the ear O meter to find the best sounding  position for speakers. Again not at that step.

Awesome score on the DSP !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived