2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

IMG_0696_zpsnzj0tymd.jpg

Here i am testing how the speakers sound using different crossover's. I did a similar  test when i built the daughters system a few years ago. Testing out how tweeter perform with different crossovers.

Left side is the Focal crossover that came with the speakers. Right side hooked up to a RF T2 6.5 crossover. With the HU set to 0 on treble,mid range and bass  adjustments these 2 speakers sound night and day from one another. Its not just there crossover points,which is to be expected, but the clarity, range and dynamics.  

IMG_0701_zpskjoijaks.jpg

The technology that is in the RF crossover seems to make a improved performance to the speaker with all variables being the same.

The 4" JBL GTO 429's above the RF crossovers were tested out. If the a-pillar didn't have the stock tweeter location with grilles in them than i think a really good set of coax on axis would work in dash pods. These drivers how ever are a bit to bright for my liking and i would not use them even if i could. I know Morel & Hertz have some good 4" coax with great tweeter designs for performance.

IMG_0702_zpsmwjgvsca.jpg

Better view of whats going on in these 2 crossovers. I know crossovers are designed specifically to the drivers that go with them. I get that the FOCAL crossover points will be higher  for the 3.5" driver(100-120hz HP) where the RF crossover is designed to work with a 6.5" driver so HPF is more likely 65-80hz. There seems to be more power and clarity  with the RF. Tweeter sounds great where it is not even noticeably off the Focal crossover. All just interesting observation with playing with these different drivers. More to come!

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These drivers you are running on the dash ... If you don’t mind answering ahead of the game, what amplification are you going with ?? 

My apologies if you’ve already posted this. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

IMG_2407_zpsou0ld1z8.jpg

Current set up left to right.

RF Punch 500-4 (110 watts rms @ 4 ohm per ch.) 

RF Punch 200-2 (85 watts rms @ 4 ohm per ch.)

99' RF Power 1000a1 (1000 watts @ 2 ohm mono)

P200-2 to run my Focal components.

just sent you a PM.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

My original plan was to upgrade HU, Build A-pillars or pods and get the system up and running until next fall and then do a tear down for deadening.

Well i just ordered 44 sq ft more of Sound Skins pro so new plan is to clean and pull all interior to prep for sound deadening. Roof first, i should have enough to finish the floor. Trunk area needs a second layer and i can get more deadening as i need it to finish. Using good shit isn't cheap, have close to $800 in deadening by the time i am done. My choice i know, but i am going for it on this one.

Start work on it next week, needs a bath first. 

just ordered up some more sound deadening material. I would like to start pulling interior beginning of next week. By the time i pull everything and prep it most of the goodies should be here. 

- New sound deadening roller.

- 50' roll of speaker gasket tape.

- 3 Rolls of TESA tape.

- 2 Rolls of Dynamat seam tape. (Black)

- 1 Roll Dynamat Dynaliner 32" x 54" x 1/8"

- 33.5 Sq Ft Second Skins Pro deadening.

- 44 Sq Ft Sound Skins Pro.

$650 worth of goodies. I will be making a major effort to make this a solid base for the build. There have already been 2 upgrades to the build when it was the wife's daily driver. Now that its mine i want to gut it and finish the sound deadening once and for all. Then get a system plan together to start running new power, ground and RCA's.

Pics to follow when i get started. 

IMG_0703_zpshmdirweb.jpg

I started working on speaker baffles for dash pods or a-pillars.

IMG_0709_zpskm2ecpca.jpg

The outer Dia is 5". That's a bit on the large side.

IMG_0711_zpsp8agxcmy.jpg

The baffle on the left is 4.5" and if i round over the outer edge it will appear  even smaller. I think this is the baffle i will end up using. I will have to cut off the mounting tabs and glue the speaker in but i think it will be worth the sleeker look in the end. ?

IMG_0713_zpsygmj9ptv.jpg

Pulling interior out.  

IMG_0714_zpsma8j3qln.jpg

Washed the car before i started project, dried the door jams & doors when i got home. Car cleans up pretty good.

IMG_0716_zpsuscjmeh4.jpg

So nice to have a garage, sucks the Lancer's out in the cold but that where it will be for the next couple of weeks.

IMG_0717_zpsy0hvraqz.jpg

Seats out.... I am vacuuming and shampooing carpets & seats as i break down the interior.

IMG_0724_zpsttsiyizu.jpg

New home for the interior until i get the deadening all done in the cab, new wiring run thru out. I don't know what is going to change as of now, i am trying to figure out one step at a time.  Strip & Deaden for now!

IMG_0722_zpsuc2akhvu.jpg

IMG_0725_zpsuhb8kyvw.jpg

Little messy, old wiring from the LC7 i had w/ stock HU. 

IMG_0736_zpstqh0ynla.jpg

And NO TUNES NOW! Bummer...

IMG_0712_zps8uomljyi.jpg

I have another 20 Sq Ft  Second Skin Damp Pro showing up tomorrow for a total of 33.5 sq ft. I think i will have enough to do the cab. Hopefully start deadening tomorrow, I am putting about 6 hrs a day on it starting Monday but that will increase i am sure.

IMG_0727_zpsmyn3ghj3.jpg

1999 RF Power bd1000a1. I have had this amp for 6 yrs and has always worked flawlessly.

IMG_0729_zpses61ynld.jpg

I think we are well past any warranty's at this point, lets open her up.

IMG_0732_zpswlp1c0we.jpgIt had very little dust on the board but i carefully vacuumed it clean. Use a magnified glass to inspect the amp, i didn't see anything obvious accept a good looking amp. lol

IMG_0734_zpsksilqply.jpgAnother look, different view. Been a good amp.  

Archived