2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

2 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Awesome score on the DSP !!!

thank you sir!  Happy to have another  piece  of equipment ready to go in.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ordered the JL Audio DRC-205. It is a nicer controller than the one that comes w/ the TWK 88. I think they should up the price $30 and throw the DRC-205 in the TWK as a option because now what do i do with a controller i will never use?. Anyway it was $89 thru Crutchfield which was a good price, most places want $99 or $89 plus shipping.

The DRC-205 showed up today. Pretty happy with this upgrade.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is a side by side comparison.  Left one is the upgraded DRC-205 and the right is the DRC-200 that came w/ the TWK 88.

spacer.png

Close up. Everything about is seems better and high quality. Knobs light up, and have real rubber tread in the JL logo. Wire is thicker, the plug in box is nicer. Well worth the $89.99.

spacer.png

This is a great start but so much more to get. Next expensive  item will be the A-Piller speaker. Need a new batter or two, license plate back up camera, SQ RCA,  possible a SINGER alt.  HU $350-400, Twk 88 $450, DRC-205 $89.99. Couple more thousand to go.... 

Racking up on the parts !!! 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

15 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Racking up on the parts !!! 

Yes, 22 weeks of work left and then i can get back to doing what i love.... Car audio. Super excited to be able to do real time tuning with th Twk 88.

I had my wife take a listen to the temp set i have in the Malibu and she was impressed with how it sounded. It was funny she said what did you to to the poor car. I said hell this is pretty  much back together from where it was.  She really misses having bass, even though the TrailHawk has a sub, with 4 6x9 putting out that much bass you can hardly hear the sub.  Maybe next year i will get some JL audio C2 to replace the stock alpine speakers. And maybe the Stealth box that houses a 10" sub instead of the factory 8". Me first and then maybe her! lol

spacer.png

Alpine stock 6x9's.

spacer.png

Tweeter in the A-pillar up front.

spacer.png

Center channel. It has the dvd 5 ch system.

spacer.png

8" sub getting 200 watts max, the rest of the speakers are getting 30-40 watts depending on the speaker needs. 

I think i might have found another option since trying to find the Illusion Audio c3cx speakers are slim. The Morel Hybrid Integra 402 look like a good option, it has the tweeter in the center of the mid-range speaker. Both can be run active independent from one anther. They run about $550 that not to back.

My other choice was Hertz ML 280.3 1 3/8" tweeter paired with the Hertz ML 700.3 which is a 3" driver. They are a component set.  Both together would be over $700, a bit steep, i was willing to pay $600 for the Illusion Audio for $600 though just because i thought they were kick ass.

I hope to have something picked out by 4th of July week to make the order. I have noticed there are few coincident style speakers out there and it is something i want to do. I think it keeps the pillars clean looking without sacrificing much SQ imo.     

44 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

I think i might have found another option since trying to find the Illusion Audio c3cx speakers are slim. The Morel Hybrid Integra 402 look like a good option, it has the tweeter in the center of the mid-range speaker. Both can be run active independent from one anther. They run about $550 that not to back.

My other choice was Hertz ML 280.3 1 3/8" tweeter paired with the Hertz ML 700.3 which is a 3" driver. They are a component set.  Both together would be over $700, a bit steep, i was willing to pay $600 for the Illusion Audio for $600 though just because i thought they were kick ass.

I hope to have something picked out by 4th of July week to make the order. I have noticed there are few coincident style speakers out there and it is something i want to do. I think it keeps the pillars clean looking without sacrificing much SQ imo.     

May i ask why those drivers?

9 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

May i ask why those drivers?

I said it in the last sentence. I like the look, its  a cleaner A-Pillar and  probably no one up here has a set-up like it. I want smaller driver i the A-Pillars. Too big doesn't look good to me.

May i ask why not?

2 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

I said it in the last sentence. I like the look, its  a cleaner A-Pillar and  probably no one up here has a set-up like it. I want smaller driver i the A-Pillars. Too big doesn't look good to me.

May i ask why not?

Oh im just wondering. Only thing i dont like about the illusions is they dont like power. That tweeter is super sensitive

Other than that its a great driver.  Wish i knew you were looking for them. I just sold a brand new set a few weeks ago

• 2 weeks later...

This showed up today....

spacer.png

It was $178 on amazon, i bit spendy but one of the better license plate back up camera.

spacer.png

Comes with all the wiring and is service able if i ever had to replace ore work on it. The wiring is some of the best that i seen in other products.

spacer.png

All metal w/ mounting hardware, camera is small as hell, resolution is 768(H0) x 494(V), not 4K by any means but clear. 

spacer.png

It is smaller than a dime. The whole frame is metal, the finish is really nice, and its very small looks great IMO.

spacer.png

These came in last week to replace the power amps i will use in the Malibu. Budget friendly amp $365 for both. SQ SI-850 (900 watts) to power the FR 8" subs in the Kick panel. And the SQ SI-2250(2300 watts rms and 2700 dynamic) to run 2 HDS310's , should be perfect match.

spacer.png

Gut shot of both. I hope to install these in the Lancer over 4th of July.

Now to save up for front stage speakers, I want to get the Morel Hybrid Integra 402 to try. I have 2 set of a pillars and can always make a component set of A-pillars down the road.Those run about $500 for a pair. 

Archived