2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

1 hour ago, ToNasty said:

Anyone is capable of doing it.  It just takes more thinking (in my opinion)

Well i guess what I mean is due to my limited SQ experience, I dont believe I have the capability to build a top notch SQ car yet. I do believe I will have a much better idea of what "true SQ" means by the end of my current project, but as with anything, not everyone has the same problem solving abilities, want to or attention to detail it takes to do certain things on a higher level...

32 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

You have to think about your plan to attack the SQ project. I really only wanted to build it once so gutting it for $1500 worth of sound treatment made sense to me. The carpet and headliner in after being out for 6 months now and i won' t have time until mid November to get back to working on it. So the plan was to buy up everything i needed to be able to finish it this winter. Currently have $2200 in equipment to go in and need about  that same amount to finish up. Take about a year to build and forever to tune it LOL.

I can understand that. The planning and creative process is what I enjoy most about most things. In everything I take on, I dot my "I's" cross my "T's" and recheck to make sure I didnt cross my eyes, so I think that's one of the reasons ive gotten more interested in SQ lately. It seems like more of a challenge to get it right, so I can understand why youd only want to do it once, the right way. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Epic said:

Well i guess what I mean is due to my limited SQ experience, I dont believe I have the capability to build a top notch SQ car yet. I do believe I will have a much better idea of what "true SQ" means by the end of my current project, but as with anything, not everyone has the same problem solving abilities, want to or attention to detail it takes to do certain things on a higher level...

I can understand that. The planning and creative process is what I enjoy most about most things. In everything I take on, I dot my "I's" cross my "T's" and recheck to make sure I didnt cross my eyes, so I think that's one of the reasons ive gotten more interested in SQ lately. It seems like more of a challenge to get it right, so I can understand why youd only want to do it once, the right way. 

First one is never top notch. Its how you learn. Buy basic equipment and have at it

I have the time and finance's and garage to do this way. On my Lancer  was a 4 year project, kept having to deaden more or run more wiring, add more amps or speakers, ect. It seemed to have no ending. Which turns out to be true because i am still working on it. lol But i took everything i learned from the Lancer to design the Malibu's system flow better. Patients has a major roll, plus i don't need the car until is done then i will have 2 systems exact opposite of one another.

55 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

First one is never top notch. Its how you learn. Buy basic equipment and have at it

I believe it. Yea I have some fairly basic equipment at the moment, but when the funds allow I plan to replace almost all the gear I currently have as I go from 1 project of my build to the next.

50 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

I have the time and finance's and garage to do this way. On my Lancer  was a 4 year project, kept having to deaden more or run more wiring, add more amps or speakers, ect. It seemed to have no ending. Which turns out to be true because i am still working on it. lol But i took everything i learned from the Lancer to design the Malibu's system flow better. Patients has a major roll, plus i don't need the car until is done then i will have 2 systems exact opposite of one another.

No ending is good for people like us. I dont what I'd do if I ever got it just right lol

Definitely always room for improvement in every system. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

7-13-19 Updates:

Morel Hybrid Integra 402's

spacer.png

Removed Focal x-over to replace with the Morel  Integra MXR250i to have a  sound off w/ the Focal Access 100A3.spacer.png

I redid the towel after the pic to seal speaker off better.

spacer.png

I bought these a few years ago for $300.

spacer.png

The Focal speakers sound good, they get surprisingly  low but the tweeter isn't very bright but i think with a DSP you could tune it to sound better. I thought the biggest flaw was how deep the basket & magnet are, over 2 " in depth. I though a Neo motor would shallow it up some. 1 3/8" on the Morel's.

The Morels are super crisp & clean but doesn't get to low. I will break them in and keep testing.  All test are off HU power to x-overs. Fun to see how they perform under just a couple of watts.

On the dash, you don’t have to worry about drivers “getting low”. All you mainly need to worry about is the midrange drivers matching up with the midbass drivers in the doors. Make sure you set the midrange drivers 180 deg out of phase with tweeters and midbass drivers. When you are phased together, the “getting low” will be covered. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

From the looks of the pics, it looks like you are aiming the left driver to the passenger left ear and the right driver to the listener right ear. Exactly what I like to do if that’s the case

. Good work my friend. 

7 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

On the dash, you don’t have to worry about drivers “getting low”. All you mainly need to worry about is the midrange drivers matching up with the midbass drivers in the doors. Make sure you set the midrange drivers 180 deg out of phase with tweeters and midbass drivers. When you are phased together, the “getting low” will be covered. 

This does work with bigger drivers from my experience.  The bigger the driver the lower they will play (in theory) and you get less beaming

I’m sure it’s listed on this thread somewhere, but I’m too far off into tequila sunrisers to search. Sort of a relaxer for tomorrow’s Meca event. But what amplification setup we have planned for the front stage ???

Archived