2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

Typical work day for me in ALASKA. Hasn't rained in 7 weeks and now that it started might not stop until it snows. But it has been the hottest summer i can remember. 80's & 90's have been awesome to work 12 hrs a day in.

I specialize in under ground utilities and with the ground freezing so deep H20 mains have to be min 10'. Here we are at 13+'.  2 more years and i can retire.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Double stacked trench box @ 12'. Been 25' at the deepest in my career. Once i go down in the morning only a shit or quitting time gets me out. Hard Fucking job, dangerous too!  Manufacture's are making pipe 20.5' long and the trench bow is 24'. Not hard to imagine there is little protection and cave ins happen behind you often and slide into the box.

Been a good career, look forward to finishing and moving on. Local 341 2019 pipelayer scale $36 an hour + all benefits. 

7-25-19 Parts update:

Electrical goodies showed up today from SHCA.

spacer.png

I like the SMD products, looks & function are spot on IMO.

spacer.png

Power run fusing and a awesome speaker wire terminal for sub box. Beats the hell out of the cheap ass one i put in. (updates this winter when i swap them out)

spacer.pngSuper excited about this item. Lancer has a Stinger VM that works fine but this says i am in another league IMO. No idea where i will put it yet... ?

spacer.pngThis should do me for electrical. Wire & battery's next i guess. 

I was thinking what next? 

spacer.png

Then spacer.png

I pulled out the SMD spkr terminal to get a measurement on the cutout.

spacer.pngHopefully  i have the extra room for the bolts, lugs & wiring. I should though, i would have thought about upgrading at some point.

spacer.pngFound some RF 8 AWG OFC wire.

spacer.png

I ran RF 12 AWG OFC before and i think it performed well.

spacer.png

Wire all cleaned up. Ordered some SHCA 8 awg ring terminals and will get a hole cut by next weekend to put it back together when the parts arrive. 

The system in this car before was pretty solid, but i am for sure taking the knowledge & experience from the Lancer to make this system the best i can.

Sunday delivery!

spacer.png

Assortment of connectors, Tesa High temp exterior tape x2,  and 2 kits of 12 colored 16 awg OFC wire 10' each. For relays, backup camera, grounds, ect. I didn't think i needed spool's of wiring and this gave me the automotive color range i needed. 

I have a Napa down the road I always bust into just before closing time ... lol

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Working on box terminal now.

spacer.png

I removed the push pin style that i made and was using o 1K. I soldered, heat shrink-ed and melted plastic to keep the nuts from vibrating free. I tried to do it right.

spacer.png

Save it for another build down the road.

spacer.png

Out with the old and in with the SMD!

spacer.png

SMD terminal just laying in position. Should work great.

That’s clean. It’s the small Attention to Detail stuff I need to do for next year. 

I need to start back driving my Ford back and forth to work and start detailing the Avalanche. 

And Yes, I think you have a very capable world champion Sound Quality Vehicle. But as we see with my vehicle, its a lot more than just install equipment and compete. Sad part about you is there’s no competition events in your area. You might could get Steve Stern to do something about that ... Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

20 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

That’s clean. It’s the small Attention to Detail stuff I need to do for next year. 

I need to start back driving my Ford back and forth to work and start detailing the Avalanche. 

And Yes, I think you have a very capable world champion Sound Quality Vehicle. But as we see with my vehicle, its a lot more than just install equipment and compete. Sad part about you is there’s no competition events in your area. You might could get Steve Stern to do something about that ... Just Saying 

I think i will have to try an plan a trip to where i could see a SQ event. We will see what the wife has to say about it. She just listened to the Malibu with the Morel Hybrid Integra and she was impressed. Last demo until its done for her. lol

8-1-19 Goodies came in.

Nothing special just a couple items so i can work on the enclosure this weekend.

spacer.png

My first car audio T-shirt, kinda excited about that. Be nice if they would sponsor me ha ha.  8 awg lugs for speaker wire w/ Heat shrink and more speaker location labels.

spacer.png

I borrowed my co-workers roto zip to enlarge the terminal cup location on the enclosure. Now that i have everything i will try to finish it up this weekend. Updates on progress thru out the weekend. 

Damn... August first already. Another summer flying by! Only rained for a couple of days, been cloudy and a bit cooler. Living up here you can feel the change in the morning come quick. Usually half of August and all September is the rainy season and then it stops in October to start freezing. By the end of the work season it can be 15 degrees out with a high of mid 20's. Having a garage has been great, doesn't matter what the weather is doing and your shit is secure!  

Archived