2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

Some tools showed up today that will help with the fabricating.

spacer.png

This was the most budget friendly tools i could find on Amazon.  Fast free shipping is a plus, ordered these less than a week ago.  One more tool to show up next week.

spacer.png

9" band saw was $130,  Disk/belt sander was $105, 4" grinder $25,  Dremel kit was $27.  The Brand name is WEN and i will take it easy on the tools to make them last.

spacer.png

Removed a couple of decals from air box and engine cover.

Working thru ideas on trunk layout so i can figure out where exactly my power is going to run up onto the trunk.

spacer.png

Test fitting enclosure.  It was turned around firing into the trunk on the last set up. I want something different on this round of upgrades.

spacer.png

Do i want it firing into the cabin this time? I like the Lancer set up like this, and i would be able to mount the 3 amps on the enclosure and seal it off from the trunk.  Which side is the port suppose to be on?  Driver or Passenger?

spacer.png

Made a template to help seal the trunk off.

spacer.png

Maybe a IB set up w/ a 15" sub.

spacer.png

Better yet 2 15's in a IB setup.  I did a shit ton of research last night and been playing with cut outs all day to see if it was even possible.  It will be tight but i think i can make it work.  Kind of excited to do something different.

After working with 8", 10" & 12" subs i have always want to go bigger.  My sons Tahoe had 2 old RF T1 15's on 1k and the hit pretty low.  I don't know how i will like the bass compared to ported enclosures which is all i have used my whole life  but i am really leaning toward a SQ build now.

I really wanted a single 18" to work but there isn't enough space.  So the 15"s i have been looking at are:

FI IB3 V2 15"- i have always want some FI subs.

15" Adire Audio Tempest - Great price point.

Acoustic Elegance IB series- spendy, D16 or D8 ohm w/ 150 watt rms rating? WTF

Any suggestions or ideas i am all ears!  lol

How many cubes u got to work with, trunk space

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

4 hours ago, Ron36 said:

How many cubes u got to work with, trunk space

? why? Its a small trunk for a mid sized car.  Ported box was as big as i could go without building in the trunk which i don't want to do.

Was gonna see what other 15inch subs could fit sealed

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

A couple goodies showed up this morning.

spacer.png

Rockwell Oscillating tool will come in handy.

spacer.png

New product from SoundSkins i wanted to try.

spacer.png

-  6  .78" wide by 1" thick Smooth acoustic foam/ closed cell rubber strips for speaker gasket.  4  back wave acoustic pads.  Nicely package product.  It is better than the Stinger fast ring system i used on the rear deck & front doors.  I will be replacing the Stinger with the SoundSkins product.

Your trunk area is not going to like the “IB” Dual 15 idea, but your cabin is going to love it ... I’m just not much on the drivers you listed in the “IB” application. Just me, Sorry. My suggestion would be to go old school with Peavey Black widows or something similar. This will give you something cheaper to try out and see what you’re working with ... my guess is if you actually find something close to the specs of the black widows, you wouldn’t want anything else when it comes to “free air” frequency response ...

been working my ass off lately ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Still playing w/ a IB set up, trying to fit a 18" driver would take some doing.

spacer.png

I am at a cross roads of trying something new & different or staying with what i have a better idea of how it will turn out.  As of now i want to go to our best local car audio shop and talk with them, see if anyone has a set up i could hear.  Due to money and time for now i think i will continue the build w/ the T1 12 firing into the cabin in its enclosure w/ a make over of course.  I will keep doing research on a IB set up and try to locate the equipment with that in mind or easy to redo trunk set up.  I hate this process at times.  I feel like i am missing out on a good chance and second guessing myself at the same time.

spacer.png

On a better note... this came in today.  I mini body saw for tight places, i couldn't pass it up.  A "just in case tool", in case i need it, I GOT IT!

I just have to get off my ass, run some power wires, drill a couple holes and be done with it.  

Archived