2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

If you could find some stereo integrity HT18's they sound awesome IB. I have also used 2 jbl GTO 15s IB and they were good too. Just not loud enough. But I did love that 18 IB, it just sounded so effortless on any note. Played down to 10hz too hahaha

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

If you could find some stereo integrity HT18's they sound awesome IB. I have also used 2 jbl GTO 15s IB and they were good too. Just not loud enough. But I did love that 18 IB, it just sounded so effortless on any note. Played down to 10hz too hahaha

Thank you for the info, i had heard the JBL GTO's where good for IB and thanks for the Stereo Integrity suggestion. I will look into those subs some more. I don't want to sacrifice to much output. You would think two 15's IB on 2k would be about the same as 1 12" ported on the same power? 

• 2 weeks later...

No real updates,  bought a few things to make the electrical part of the build look nicer and will review items when they show up along with pics.  As of now still at a stuck point on which way to go on the build.  Use the T1 12" or try a Infinite Baffle set up w/ a FI IB3 15"?  It been really  cold here lately so not horrible motivated to work in the garage plus it feels like i can't move forward until i pick a direction.  With funds being somewhat of a issue right now, i thought i would go thru some of the older equipment to clean up and sell.

spacer.png

I sold this yesterday evening to a thug that literally threw the amp in the back with 1 screw and super shitty wiring set up.  He want to make sure it worked.  I hooked it up i told him to keep the volume real low when he turned the HU  on.  Sub made noise, got my $200.  Then he reached down and turned the gains all the way up like a volume knob.  I just shook my head,  Guy was a fucking idiot!  Solid amp that would have lasted a bit longer...? 

I found a GEM of Hardware for the build.  Idea is to showcase DSP, amps & distribution blocks w/ a normal wiring situation.  I purchased 3 or 4 items last weekend just for improving the looks of the build and function i suppose.

This SPARKED my attention....

spacer.png

Sparked Innovation RBX-4CH.  It is a powered, fused, switchable relay box.  I picked out what i thought i would need to run my system accessory's  off the control  box.  There is a shit ton of options but  i wanted to keep it simple.  Ha Ha

spacer.png

This is the stock plain control box,  there are several options to customizing it.  The Base model costs $75 and i think its worth it,  with the functionality and looks i like it a lot.  Some thought went into developing this unit.

spacer.png

They offer 2 lengths of cables:  9' & 18".  I had to go with the 18', i will have a little extra to tie up and hide.  

spacer.png

I thought i needed this extra cable... Nope.

spacer.png

This VM is tiny and could fit in the cigarette lighter location.  I would like to try this and use the SMD VM i have so i need a plan for those too.   LED COLOR: Blue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice decal, tools & extra fuses.

spacer.png

Solid metal switch w/ white lighted halo  ring.  This switch is tiny as hell.

spacer.png

Sitting on a quarter, it's about the size of a nickle.

spacer.png

Easy to follow manual w/ specs.  I really like its a plug and play system,  keeps everything compact and clean looking.

HU, Twk 88, 3 amps & interior led lighting on a switch, are the  4 outputs coming out from the control box.  

I am excited to get this hooked up along with 20 other items at this point but i think i got my $ worth and i am happy with the quality, packing, shipping.  The whole order was nice and smooth.  I paid about $128.00 for everything but that led to buying nicer distribution blocks @ about  $150 and then $60 more on fuses & fasteners/Hardware.

spacer.png

I made this cardboard template that they sell to see if i could find a easy location to fab this into but didn't find any place easy so i just bought the vm & 1 switch. 2"h x 7"w x 3/8"thick.

spacer.png

This was the first idea and have it hiding behind a panel but wanting to showcase the build more i am glad i found the Box.  I will still have to make a panel w/ a couple relays and the power box for rear view camera, trunk led lights and wire 1 or 2 up for future use.

More goodies to come. 

I always liked the look of those sparked innovation boxes. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it! Go blue!

58 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I always liked the look of those sparked innovation boxes. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it! Go blue!

Thanks, i found them looking for high end car audio distribution blocks and other accessory's for a flashy build look.  I have no idea how long they been around but great little company.  They have emailed me 4 times today about reviews and me being happy with the CS.

This build is getting to be againizing trying to pick the direction i need to go.  I am scrapping the Infinite Baffle idea for now.  Still wanting to try a 15" driver but room is real tight, i would have to make the enclosure funky to get that big of a driver in there.  Plus how much $ can one throw at it?  I know a lot more, but for now i will use the ported enclosure for the T1 12".  I seriously thought about making a sealed box for it to try.  I save 5" of trunk space all the way across in a sealed box.

The ported enclosure is a Joe X design for 1,000 watts,  1.75 cu ft tuned to 33 hz.  I will be running close to 2k off the T1500.1,  i wounder how the power increase affects the enclosure design or effeciency?

spacer.png

I put the enclosure back in to get a better idea which deriction i am going.  Also to take measurements to draw up a design layout.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This template was for the infinite baffle behind the seat.  I will need to make a new template for behind the box to seal trunk off.

spacer.png

I made this template for the amplifier rack to play with location.  I think there is room to mount it under the rear deck upside down.  Wiring management and layout would be more challenging to look right.

spacer.png

Power, fuses & grounds in spare tire well,  I have this maped out pretty good it is just a matter of cutting wood.  This will have a access panel to get to the fuses, but i want the spare tire well done first and possible a false or raised floor. Not sure, still winging that idea.

spacer.png

I bought these for the A-pillar speaker pluggins for quick & easy removal during servicing.

spacer.png

I found some Audison Connection Fused distribution blocks so i ordered 3 of them.  This is a dual mini fused distribution block.  The other 2 are in route and will be here in the next 2 days.

spacer.png

I still plan to use some of the SMD products in the spare tire well but i want nicer looking distribution blocks for display.  I looked at a lot of different styles and brands but the Audison was the nicest i found imo.

spacer.png

I think i spent $200 in these distribution blocks but i needed them because i didn't have all the power management finalized.  Yes i could have spent a lot less and probably done the job just fine but i figure i am this deep in might as well try to get a nut in too!  lol

I know mostly boring shit,  few more parts to come in,  a little more planning and then action will happen quickly.  Once i get off my ass anyway,  getting plywood in a week or so and don't have the room for that shit to sit around.

Order showed up today, just trying to get everything i need for when i get the plywood.

spacer.png

Need ferrules for the Audison distrobution blocks.  

spacer.png

For Led lighting if needed.

spacer.png

0 awg splitters and dual 0 awg amp inputs.

spacer.png

3/4" wide x 40' long roll of velcro on top.  And 2"w x 15' long roll down below.  Lots of uses for it,  Panels, wiring, Sound skins overkill ccf.

spacer.png

Led lighting & wiring.  The plan is just a few nice touches her & there, nothing goddy looking.

spacer.png

Hmm...

spacer.png

Yaa..... Super excited about this SMD product too.  I bought this and the fans because the plan is to enclose the amplifier rack, i want a plexi glass window just where the amps are mounted back lit w/ blue leds.  I also think i will have to learn how to vinyl or pay someone, i want the the final bueaty panel nice as hell.

spacer.png

Tool in needed badly.

spacer.png

Threaded inserts for the build.  I also have the rivettted inserts & the gun.  Trying to do it 100% right and damn this is a ton one has to remember or shit gets missed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Different bolts for mounting the electronics to the amp rack.  Few more things to show up by next week including plywood for the following weeks work.

Archived