2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

Power runs in.

spacer.png

Routing wire so rear seat frame and panels won't be affected. I had both in but didn't take any pictures.

spacer.png

Thru the factory grommet to go over the fuse box.

spacer.png

Mounted near grommet, need to tape this run together and put some foam on it so the don't make any noise.

spacer.png

I really like these 0 gauge wire hold down clips,  i have a few left for the amp rack and some 4 gauge if i need too.

spacer.png

It had to be this tight to get the side panel back on.

spacer.png

Up over the fuse box, i had to put a small piece of ABS behind the metal to get the screw to grab and sandwich the metal. Really thin metal to mount factory fuse block.

spacer.png

one last mounting clip before the runs will come thru the panel into the fuse box.I used the loop style so i didn't burn up my good ones for the amp rack.

spacer.png

SMD dual analog fuse block will be mount somewhere around here.  I have to keep it high because the whole amp rack will be between 3 & 4 inches.

spacer.pngThinking about mounting this close to the SMD fuse block,  this will power the relays for back up camera, LEDs in the trunk, and what ever else the Sparked innovations relay box won't do.  Less shit in the amp rack will look better in IMO.  We'll see, i don't have it planned out that far yet.

spacer.png

Not sure what to do with this space yet.  I could carpet it to match the trunk,  I could use some of the Luxury Liner pro but it would use most of what i have up.  And i could use the OverKill Pro, I have two boxes i haven't opened yet.  Or i could leave it as is. Grey carpet,  Grey Luxury Liner Pro, Black OverKill Pro or leave it SoundSkins. ?

spacer.png

My 5 amp smart charger showed up yesterday.

spacer.png

This is for the Lancer, swap out the 1.5 amp that is in there now.

So looking at the trunk area running the power i thought i better change out and upgrade the rear shocks. It will be a MF to do once everything is in. I bought paint to start working on the the enclosure and for the amp rack.  I hope to get some shit done this week. we will see!  The wife comes first, bought her flowers and a card today.  I didn't get her anything last week but daily coffee's. 

I was able to get a little done today, did some running around for the wife. I will be purchasing rear shocks tomorrow to install.

I have been working on mapping the wiring out since it is that time.

spacer.png

Relocated power runs to get fuse box out.

spacer.png

Located trunk illumination positive wire for LED's in the trunk.  And the reverse wire for my back up camera.

spacer.png

I went off the stock trunk light to trigger a relay for the LED's that will be in the trunk.  When you open the lid the lights will come on.

spacer.png

Not sure where to put the relays, maybe behind the panel.

spacer.png

Reverse light trigger for back up camera.

spacer.png

Taped up and done. All connections will be soldered.

spacer.png

I will work on the back up camera tomorrow as well.  Right after i clean that area up lol  

1 hour ago, bcbrassard said:

spacer.png

I will work on the back up camera tomorrow as well.  Right after i clean that area up lol  

Don't forget to deaden/luxury line the back of the license plate and use all 4 bolts to mount the plate tightly to eliminate rattles :)  also, for peace of mind, when i put my plate frame camera on, i used torx head screw to hopefully dissuade any would-be snatchers from trying it.

I'm sure you've already thought of all that tho :) 

Just now, bmwking said:

Don't forget to deaden/luxury line the back of the license plate and use all 4 bolts to mount the plate tightly to eliminate rattles :)  also, for peace of mind, when i put my plate frame camera on, i used torx head screw to hopefully dissuade any would-be snatchers from trying it.

I'm sure you've already thought of all that tho :) 

No I didn't think of that since it's a garage car I don't always think of the things that people might steal when it's not in the garage. Thank you for the reminder I will look at some better fasteners. And I always dead everything even if it doesn't need it just to be sure that license plate backup camera was almost $200 but don't let nobody steal in it

spacer.png

Went to parts store to pick these up yesterday. $50 each,  same ones on amazon where $25 each but i don't have the 3 weeks to wait for them to get here.  I plan to put these on today.

spacer.png

Should go pretty easy,  i also found my longacre coil bushing that i will install at the same time. Help out with the extra weight in the rear.

spacer.png

I was able to get a couple panels deadened up the other night. These will get acoustic foam treated as well, is deadening them worth it? Probably not but just trying to got the extra mile to get the best results possible.

spacer.png

Dirty behind the license plate.

spacer.png

Clean now,  it took me an hour to find my buffing compound because my garage is a mess. Looks better now!

spacer.png

Removed license plate light to clean.

spacer.png

Installed LED.  Replacing all lights with LEDs.

spacer.png

I ordered 3157 Load resisted Leds for tail lights.

spacer.png

Working on back up camera,  Need to tape up the red wiring.

spacer.png

Mocked up so i can figure out were to drill the hole for the wiring harness. 

1 hour ago, bcbrassard said:

spacer.png

Mocked up so i can figure out were to drill the hole for the wiring harness. 

for mine (which is on a back hatch door, so that made it easier) I drilled directly behind the plate so the wires were completely hidden, then sealed the hole with seam sealer.  I know it's more difficult on a bumper, but still possible to put a hole dead center of the plate then bring the wires up through a factory grommet in the trunk if one exists.  just an idea :)  and dont forget to clean behind those tail lights ;) 

I am trying to decide where the best spot behind the frame to drill the hole.  Upper or lower.  I marked out the lower part of the frame in pencil so it can be easily cleaned.  Might have to remount it and mark the upper frame as well so all options are clearly marked out.

For now i want to get these shocks on and cross that off the list.  As always thank you for the tips,  nice to have a  second pair of eyes on the project.  Plus it's taking so long i must have bored most people to sleep.  Ha ha

spacer.png

Garage is a fucking mess!  No wonder it takes me forever to do anything. Oh well.

spacer.png

Not much difference, need to remove top bushing to swap over.

spacer.png

Turn out i could have have replaced the rear shocks with out having to access the trunk panels.  I watch a video on youtube to make sure there was no surprises.  In this picture i dropped the left side nut and never heard it hit the floor.  I got a mirror and headlamp out to look on the a-arms,  brakes yesterday until i got pissed off. Today  i removed the tire to get a better look. And this happened.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Found it here.

spacer.png

Longacre coil spring rubber finally being used.  Had them for at least 3+ years.  Not cheap.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Couple different views.

Longacre 61150 Coil-Over Spring Rubber

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you climbed to the highest point and jumped. You are one sick person. lol Nice job on the way down though. Been a while

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Archived