2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

IMG_3037

time to address this. Lol

IMG_3044

This is in to check wire lengths and make adjustments now,

IMG_3048

IMG_3053

IMG_3058

Slowly coming together.  I will hang this cover tomorrow and wire up the SMD VM and Tm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal Note: 2021 has started the way 2020 ended.  The wife and step kids move out Saturday, And my lancer died last Thursday. Packing up there belongings for movers.  This was the wife's decision, she wants time and space according to her  to figure out what she wants.  at this point whatever, i have spent 10 months working on myself, doing for the family, letting her bum of a 26 yrs addict-alcoholic live with us. All to help but in the end shes gone and time for me to move on.

Build progress:  With the lancer down i am working on getting interior back in, harnesses plugged in to fire up the Malibu. Its time for a change for me too and i would like to drive a  nicer car.  I can always work on it in the garage and drive it without a system and look at the Lancer Later.

Progress pics: Interior Parts sound deadening.

IMG_3060

Working on center console to minimize rattles.

IMG_3061

I had to take it apart as much as possible to add mass and stuff CCF in as many places i thought would help.

IMG_3064

Like here between the compartment boxes and otter skin.

IMG_3070

The fuse box panel cover on the right i cut a piece of ccf to cover fuse labeling. i used Velcro to attach the ccf to the panel so it is removable   to see the chart.

IMG_3080

Back of center console.

IMG_3075

There was a hole here for a rubber stopper for cup holder tray.

IMG_3079

Now its a LED light for back passanger to see there drink in the rear cup holders. I can put the rubber stopper on on the tray and should work perfectly the same.

IMG_3085

Hush Panel for driver side under dash.  I am putting a couple layers on because i can. So i did.

IMG_3089

Finished product on hush panel, turned out pretty good.

IMG_3090

On the bottom is dash board end caps with treatment.

IMG_3093

Closer look at them. I am putting Tesa tape on all metal clips to reduce rattling. 

I don't know how long it will take to finish but i promise i am in no rush. I have come to far to cut corners now.  Plus with the house to myself besides Kona i should be able to make more progress than with little distractions. Daily updates now.

And as always thank you SMD community for your support on both audio & personal events.  It helps!

2 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Personal Note: 2021 has started the way 2020 ended.  The wife and step kids move out Saturday, And my lancer died last Thursday. Packing up there belongings for movers.  This was the wife's decision, she wants time and space according to her  to figure out what she wants.  at this point whatever, i have spent 10 months working on myself, doing for the family, letting her bum of a 26 yrs addict-alcoholic live with us. All to help but in the end shes gone and time for me to move on.

Build progress:  With the lancer down i am working on getting interior back in, harnesses plugged in to fire up the Malibu. Its time for a change for me too and i would like to drive a  nicer car.  I can always work on it in the garage and drive it without a system and look at the Lancer Later.

Progress pics: Interior Parts sound deadening.

IMG_3060

Working on center console to minimize rattles.

IMG_3061

I had to take it apart as much as possible to add mass and stuff CCF in as many places i thought would help.

IMG_3064

Like here between the compartment boxes and otter skin.

IMG_3070

The fuse box panel cover on the right i cut a piece of ccf to cover fuse labeling. i used Velcro to attach the ccf to the panel so it is removable   to see the chart.

IMG_3080

Back of center console.

IMG_3075

There was a hole here for a rubber stopper for cup holder tray.

IMG_3079

Now its a LED light for back passanger to see there drink in the rear cup holders. I can put the rubber stopper on on the tray and should work perfectly the same.

IMG_3085

Hush Panel for driver side under dash.  I am putting a couple layers on because i can. So i did.

IMG_3089

Finished product on hush panel, turned out pretty good.

IMG_3090

On the bottom is dash board end caps with treatment.

IMG_3093

Closer look at them. I am putting Tesa tape on all metal clips to reduce rattling. 

I don't know how long it will take to finish but i promise i am in no rush. I have come to far to cut corners now.  Plus with the house to myself besides Kona i should be able to make more progress than with little distractions. Daily updates now.

And as always thank you SMD community for your support on both audio & personal events.  It helps!

Sorry to hear that brotha. It's always hard. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Update: Interior panel sound treatment.

IMG_3095

All the materials necessary for treating the panels for a quiet ride is the goal.

IMG_3097

Sound skins, second skins, foam gasket material, Tesa tape, Velcro, Gorilla Tape.

IMG_3099

1st panel done.

IMG_3100

IMG_3101

I covered all the panels, of course i will add more of what ever it takes during installation to make it the best i can.

IMG_3103

I am going to miss the shit out of this yapper.  Our first dog and she has a personality you wouldn't believe.

Progress is slow with a heavy heart, packing up there stuff in the evenings is hard but only a couple days left until they leave. Then there will be no distractions here to slow me down.

Yesturday & Todays upgrades:

IMG_3108

Finally got the new seat belt system in after 1 1/2 yrs.  Funny this was it retracted all the way putting the new one in lock out.  Figured out to to unlock it used the original mechanisms.

IMG_3109

Zipped tied it so it wouldn't happen again.

IMG_3114

original in lock out mode

IMG_3126

Yellow piece with ball bearing come off.

IMG_3125

Out all the way.

IMG_3132

Testing the LEDs.

IMG_3138

Driver side panel mounted.

I will just tackle one thing at a time until i can drive it and the same when i finish the system

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped out the SHCA for a SMD fuse holder.

IMG_3140

My OCD is worth $20.  Much better look imo.

IMG_3142

The wife moved out so plenty of storage for car parts.

IMG_3143

Now i can clean them up for install soon. Maybe, Who the fuck knows!

IMG_3141

I cleaned up the garage to move the Malibu over for the Lancer.  See if i can find the issue with it.

12 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

looking good man! sorry to hear about all the shit going on, been there done that. 

Thanks man! Almost 50 and starting over is not what i had i mind this year.  I think i got the Lancer fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3147.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

wiring harness for SMD VM-1 & TM-1

hooked up.

IMG_3153.JPG

All cleaned

IMG_3157.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Playing with these locations for knobs.

IMG_3162.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

LEDs on and working.

IMG_3165.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

night time.