2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

IMG_0738_zps8fekfbf9.jpg

Sub and enclosure next to come out.

IMG_0739_zpsv6bpjdse.jpg

It is a pretty good sized enclosure. Trunk is so deep you don't realize the box is this big until you slide forward.

IMG_0740_zpsnnb9y4t4.jpg

Trunk panels removed. Stinger Roadkill is down but i will be adding to it.

IMG_0741_zpsnqbgtome.jpg

I am pulling the 6x9's to redo the rear deck in deadening.

IMG_0742_zps6qshse7k.jpg

GM puts a good amount on deadening in some spots.

IMG_0744_zpszjkcxydc.jpg

Center Console is out.

IMG_0745_zps3uutam5f.jpg

Carpet is out.

IMG_0746_zpscc2p3zuj.jpg

IMG_0748_zpssselx2yj.jpg

Last box of Seconds Skins showed up. Perfect timing, Headliner is the last item to be removed and then its deadening time. I hope to get some started tonight.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that car is going to weigh ten tons when he gets done. 

Nice work Sir

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

that car is going to weigh ten tons when he gets done. 

Nice work Sir

well... sounds like it needs some coil over suspension, performance chip, exhaust upgrades, fuel pump, injectors, Fuel rail, and some porting and polish. I am i on the right track? lol

Finished the roof last night, just have a few small pieces to install and then put the headliner back up. Roofs suck ass, over head work sucks ass too. But i am definitely liking the Second Skin Damp Pro material. Solid product IMO, can't wait to try the Sound Skins Pro material later. 

Just ordered another 30 sq ft of Damp Pro. I don't think the 34 sq ft i have will hardly get the floor and rear deck done. Roof used 14 sq ft alone. I know i will have enough to finish the trunk and hopefully some for the rear doors.

Have always loved your work and this is no different.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

3 hours ago, Karkov said:

Have always loved your work and this is no different.

Thank you, This car is a keeper so i am paying close attention to the little things to help with sound deadening. The Lancer was the practice/experiment vehicle.

IMG_0751_zpspazdvhqz.jpg

Headliner removal wasn't bad but wiring harness was hot glued to back side of headliner so taking it all the way out without unplugging everything wasn't happening.

IMG_0752_zpsf8xoftby.jpg

3 little deadening tiles for this roof is all GM engineers deemed it needed!  And if you position them all around the driver he will be fooled into thinking he is driving a Cadillac instead of a base model Malibu. lol

IMG_0753_zpsjgfcjouk.jpg

So with the wiring on i carefully slid it into the trunk area out of the way.

IMG_0754_zpstf3s2ai6.jpg

Goes fast when you can lay some good size pieces of product down. Its the tedious tasks that take so long and much of yesterday was spent doing.

IMG_0755_zps2rn495mn.jpg

IMG_0758_zpslgsfnimn.jpgFinish Product, i hope i don't regret not putting acoustic foam on the roof. Trying to stretch my materials as far as i can. I also didn't have enough Damp Pro on hand to do a second layer.  This roof was definitely the weak link and is solid now, i just like to overkill it so i know it's as good as it can be. With in a budget anyway.

IMG_0759_zpsdasoydyb.jpg14 sq ft for the roof.

IMG_0757_zps6krynvke.jpgThis is an example: antenna unit removed for sound deadening, reinstalled with foam on top. All wires that where bare got a Tesa tape treatment, all factory coated harness got foam around the harness, wire's where taped to deadening or car panels. 

This will be my method thru out the rest of the build which will eat up a shit ton of time but will be worth it in the end. I learned from doing the Lancer that all these wires & harness can vibrate under the carpet or headliner and behind panels to make a god awful noise that pisses you off. You know how much time was spent laying sound deadening and now the wiring is going to kill the SQ. Not on this build!

IMG_0760_zpsem4ul9vj.jpgHeadliner back in but not 100% done.

On to rear deck and sides. Flooring will be last. Trying to get the hardest work done first as usual. Worked until 2 am the last couple nights.    

IMG_0763_zpsm8xlyxb0.jpg

Time to clean the rear deck up and add some more deadening material. 

IMG_0761_zpsccafitfk.jpg

I hooked the 6x9's up to the test bench  and been playing them all day. They sound good i am thinking about running these off HU power since they are rear fill. Possible look into trying out the RF PM100x1. These amps just run off the high level speaker current and amplify that. Small, easy and would be fun to try.  Amplified rear fill on this build doesn't seem necessary, set up was faded mostly forward anyway so amplifying to  cut  and fade  seems silly.

IMG_0764_zps4kajxa8c.jpg

I removed to foam baffles and deadening around the speaker mounting position. Plus removed all wiring harness on sides and rear deck for deadening. This is the slow part IMO.

IMG_0766_zpsawev0rls.jpg

All prepped and ready for more deadening.

IMG_0767_zpsipz4vzrz.jpg

IMG_0768_zpse7c0xwge.jpgThis is where i am at now. Running low on Deadening material. Ordered 20 sq ft Second Skin damp 1 mm. and The 30 sq ft of Damp Pro i ordered yesterday won't bee here until Thursday so i will be dead in the water soon. I will just take the weekend off and start up Sunday night again. 

Archived