2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

6 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

FLEX TAPE? WTF?

You know, that shit they sell at Walmart to repair boats ... :lol:

Man, I'm really enjoying watching this car. Awesome Work !!! Can't wait to get your response on the difference it makes on the noise floor !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

You know, that shit they sell at Walmart to repair boats ... :lol:

Man, I'm really enjoying watching this car. Awesome Work !!! Can't wait to get your response on the difference it makes on the noise floor !!!

FLEX SEAL...... GOTCHA now i get it.

Thank you sir. I know i am over killing it some but i like the looks and results of near 100% coverage. I feel you leave nothing to chance and you have done the absolute best you can. Covering holes and trying to seal the cabin i thought was always the goal when sound deadening?

Since the doors and trunk area was done a few years ago with good results. Door speakers sound amazing with a lot of clean mid-range and mid-bass. The rattle's in the trunk where reduced but the bass vibration migrated to the roof where a excessive amount of flex and rattles where now the issue.

The floor wasn't bad at all IMO. and definitely shouldn't be an issue after i finish. Testing result will be a few weeks away. After spring break. 

IMG_0801_zpsx6p2ynq2.jpg

IMG_0803_zpsbnziw9fw.jpg

It needed it badly here.

IMG_0804_zpswutcidbe.jpg

I put some speaker gasket foam in the opening in case i needed to run any wiring thru it.

IMG_0808_zpsgu6qb8qo.jpg

Sure is nice having a garage, i like my work space. Very little second skin scraps left. And there's the 4 rolls of SoundSkins about to go in.

IMG_0809_zpse2vrrmsg.jpg

I'm glad i have a small and mid sized vehicles. Garage is just big enough for these size cars.

IMG_0810_zpslvkg7qik.jpgShit everywhere! lol

IMG_0811_zpskvuwfdlq.jpg

I hate stacking shit on the car but if i put anymore parts inside the wife might shit. She really has no idea what i am doing. Remember my hobby is like Fight Club, and whats the first rule? Thats right... We don't talk about it. lol

IMG_0812_zpstxlyg5dq.jpg

Other side done. Electrical plan is incomplete but probably have power wires going thru here maybe so i used speaker foam here too.

IMG_0814_zps7tttatli.jpg

That is the last of the Second skin damplifier and Damp Pro. I will start doing the SoundSkins tomorrow.

Update on my progress:

IMG_0815_zpsfb4r4y3m.jpg

Materials not hard to work with because its pliable  to contour changes, radius's & bends. It will tear pretty easy and i was glad i had a 2" urethane roller to help work the material out. I think a 1" wood roller could damage it pretty easy if you pressed to hard. I do not regret putting the Damp Pro down first as this material has little damplifier and thin aluminium which is why its flexible and it alone would not have the same results.

IMG_0816_zps4mfie6s0.jpgWorking on passenger side wiring harness and rear floor heater vent.

IMG_0817_zpsjohav3go.jpgThis channel is where the rear floor heat vent passes thru so i wanted to make sure it stayed noise free by Tesa Taping the wiring harness it rest on. And applying some speaker gasket foam to each side of the oval opening.

IMG_0819_zps9dwaxzjw.jpgHere you can see it touching the channel and harness with the potential noises it could have made. Not to mention the vent resting on the floor and against the hump. With this SecondSkins installed you know this shit ain't making a peep. lol

IMG_0820_zpslgn84d0p.jpgHere i cut a piece of foam to wedge the vent over into place. 1 on each side of channel.

IMG_0821_zpsbtywlprl.jpg

And then taped over it to help keep it in place.

IMG_0822_zpsde4v7nkz.jpg

Front side.

IMG_0823_zpsssp2yeh0.jpg

Driver side Harness needs some taping.

IMG_0824_zpswcaupczv.jpg

Driver side cleaned up and all wiring back into position.

IMG_0825_zps0nckewao.jpg

Driver side floor vent same process as the passenger side.

IMG_0826_zpsvqmvfujd.jpg

With the front done except for the back of tranny hump and wiring by back seat done it was time to finalize real layout and start cutting.

IMG_0834_zpsmhs9k5lf.jpg

I taped it down and reinstalled rear carpet for layout to cut for back seat brackets. Carpet went in nice and snug. So far no issue's with anything yet as far as deadening goes and putting items in stock location. Between the Damp Pro and SecondSkins i have add 5/16 uncompressed, 1/4" compressed to the interior. And that's where there are no overlaps.

IMG_0828_zps0y1dseuc.jpg

Few goodies showed up today. This is a ASC 2 pair GM speaker adapter kit i picked up for $25 off Amazon. Why do i have these? Well when i install the T3 6.5" in the doors i used what i had on hand which was a 3/4" abs speaker adapter ring and not the right adapter for GM models. So when i go to SecondSkins the front door i will change out adapters and make it right. I hate to leave any half ass work and make sure everything is right to the best of my ability. 

IMG_0829_zpsqlhqbjyq.jpg

What i did was good and the speakers sound amazing but... it isn't right and i can't leave it.

The left over 2 adapters i can give to my son for his truck. He might be able to afford new speakers in the future but i don't see a system for him anytime soon. He is expecting his first child in October.

IMG_0830_zpslcprv4yi.jpg

Oh the quality of the adapters is pretty good. The factory one is real solid materials which is why people break out the speaker and use the factory one.

I plan to Craigslist all 4 stock speakers for like $40. otherwise they are junk. I have kept them thinking i would pull the T3's if need be but i don't see that happening, well only to put something better in. lol

IMG_0832_zpswdmf0moh.jpgAnd i got my fast rings in from Stinger. First set from them i have used. They seem to bee a REAL pan in the ASS to break apart. Maybe someone from the company should contact FASTRING company to see how they do it RIGHT!

More to come.... & Slow to come as well. 

IMG_0845_zps8ntja24k.jpg

I used up the last 2 pieces of Damplifier to finish trunk where SoundSkins stopped.

IMG_0844_zps8x8mhoy6.jpg

IMG_0841_zps7yp5xjgy.jpg

IMG_0846_zps499vkphf.jpg

I have enough SoundSkins left to do the fender wells and possible trunk or rear deck.? I think it looks killer. Shit works to keep the sound from traveling. 

IMG_0847_zpsdilhbjyt.jpg

Research i did said the fender wells are a major source of road noise introduced into the vehicle, and if you think about how close your ears are to them i could see them being an issue. Not an issue in a truck or SUV so much. I think the distance between the speaker and fender wells are very close and i could see it affecting the SQ. If you think about it the back of cars are just rattling echo chambers from hell that need attention when deadening.

More to do tomorrow.

IMG_0852_zpsprlgt6ng.jpg

42 sq ft of SOUNDSKINS used up. (2 sq ft of scraps left)

IMG_0854_zpsxxnryxwt.jpg

IMG_0856_zpsr93ff8nm.jpg

IMG_0857_zps0e1064ia.jpg

Pretty happy with how it turned out. 

IMG_0849_zps7qmylzpk.jpg

I couldn't have done it without my helper Coco. 3 lbs TeaCup Poodle.

Now to measure out everywhere i want the Dynaliner and start cutting.  Oh with all this SoundSkins in here it is supper comfortable to crawl around on.... And Quiet! lol 

Used up the Dynaliner today. It didn't go very far.

IMG_0858_zpsokomctuy.jpgI put some acoustic foam on the b-pillar posts to help quiet the panels.

IMG_0860_zpsopzljsxt.jpg

IMG_0862_zpsftzwtoin.jpgI had a long strip of dynaliner and put it here where the back seat bolts up to the rear deck. It is not metal to metal now. lol

IMG_0867_zpswnteqxtb.jpg1 sq ft of dynaliner for each 6x9.

IMG_0868_zpslm0ckf88.jpgI should work on getting these mounted today.

IMG_0869_zpsfbduy11s.jpg

IMG_0870_zps5qixyzes.jpgI think that is all the deadening i can do for this round. I hated to switch products in the trunk but with panels covering everything i will have to be ok.

I need 20 sq ft of 1mm damplifier and 2 rolls of soundskins to finish trunk Floor and doors. 1 more roll of dynaliner too. About $350 more... well there is the trunk lid that needs attention later down the road so call it $500 more to finish all deadening.

Start putting the interior back together and save up for next round of goodies.

6x9's installed. 

IMG_0871_zpsccq0m6lx.jpgCleaned up the speakers before installing them. I have had these around 7 yrs. Put them in the son's Tahoe off a P500-4. They are nicely broke in and still sound pretty good, Good enough for rear fill off the HU. Would i like a more SQ driver there? Hell ya i would but right now sticking with the theme of using the equipment i have on hand. Unless i hit good in Vegas over spring break then all bets are off. Sky's the limit kinda thing. 

IMG_0872_zps8uhkx4ml.jpgThe Stinger Road Kill Fast Rings are a pain in the ass to separate, the back ring is very thin compared to the front and needs specially handling when separating to keep from ripping. They are huge in OD, i ended going around the outside of the speaker because it was so sloppy. Still looks good and should do the job.

IMG_0873_zpsjrzroapd.jpg

IMG_0874_zpsym3dgzow.jpg

IMG_0877_zpsnxcsynsu.jpgThe trunks roof panel hugs the RF's magnets pretty tight so i can't use the back baffle of the kit. I know the rings will help, especially the top one, to push the sound out the rear deck which it needed.

So much left to do. The plan is get it a daily by this fall, for sure by the beginning of winter.

-replace HU

- Deadening to buy & install.

-backup camera, new RCA's & remote turn on. 

-Battery's: largest under the Hood & trunk with a mounting bracket

-0 gauge runs to rear depending on how many amps i run. 2 or 3.

Couple thousand dollars and time. Right now i have the time but no $, in the summer i have the $ just no time. 

Starting to go thru the car with tape, foam, and scraps to deaden the last of the wiring & prep for panels to go back on.

Rear deck panel deadening.

IMG_0880_zps22iibr1w.jpgThis factory sound deadening pad was installed offset around one of the 6x9 grilles and it was driving me nuts. I think i might be OCD. ?

IMG_0881_zpsrlqg4myl.jpgHere you can see how bad it is and i didn't want it to interfere with the FAST RING system so i removed the acoustic pad  to clean the back side of the panel.

IMG_0883_zpsqrnhxuo4.jpgWith the pad removed you see the third brake light and wiring. Both need addressed to reduce unwanted noise.

IMG_0884_zpslcqhwhhn.jpg

IMG_0888_zpsioxigtuc.jpgTesa tape on the back side of panel where the lens will touch.

IMG_0889_zps7bb92zkz.jpgLight and wire re-installed.

IMG_0892_zpsy3xmrk64.jpg

IMG_0894_zpsdlbvpx6w.jpgI had some scrap SoundSkins to go around the grilles to add mass and help control acoustic back waves. I also has some Second Skins scraps so i threw a couple shapes in there for the hell of it. (Circle & Triangle) 

IMG_0895_zpsbprrmazu.jpgThe small trim piece i have strips of black gorilla tape on is weird.  Not sure what it would be for due to it being like a 3/4" opening. Anyway... it rattled, i removed it to see what a easy fix might be and this was what i came up with. Tape the back side tight to the panel so it can't move. We'll see if it works. I think it for different trim packages or something. Like i said it's so small i don't see the use or need for it.

IMG_0896_zpsuwj4ibv1.jpgAnother look at it taped up. I taped up the Styrofoam columns so the couldn't sq week in there mounts.

IMG_0880_zps22iibr1w.jpgBefore....

IMG_0897_zpshqsz9f3v.jpgAFTER.....

I hot glued it back on more securely than factory. Then sealed around the cut outs with gorilla & Tesa tape. Pretty happy with it , this is where some luxury liner would be nice.  Add another $500 to do behind every panel lol. 

Been sick so not much progress. 

Archived