Sundown Audio

2004 Tahoe Bose Amp Replacing with Aftermarket

Frank Seaton-Gilford

Just purchased my Tahoe and plan to upgrade everything. I'm wondering if it'll be best to run all new wires from the door speakers to the aftermarket amp for Mids & Highs or install them into the stock harness and splice from the Bose Amp connection? The truck came with an aftermarket stereo so I'm sure it has the interface. Thanks

I ran new wires in my 2000 GMC Yukon and it was pretty easy.

System:

Pioneer DEH-8400BH

4 Alpine Type R 6.5's

4 Soundqubed PA 6.5's

4 Soundqubed Supertweets

Hifonics BRX 640.4

Crescendo S800/4

2 Soundqubed Q1-3500.1s strapped @1ohm

2 Soundqubed HDC4 18's

11 Cubes net @37hz (Subs up, port back)

2 DC Power 250 HD's

1 DC Power 300 SPX

DC Power triple alt bracket

5 Kinetik HC 1800's

4 runs of 1/0 OFC power cables

4 runs of 1/0 OFC grounds from rear battery bank to OEM alt bracket

iPad Air in dash

300+ sq ft or sound deadening

I would run new wire personally. Which I did in my 2003 Tahoe.

How simple was it to run all new wires? What brand of speakers did you choose to run?

It was pretty easy. Getting it through the rubber elbows going to the door, just unattach them from the door, wrap the end of your new wire with electrical tape to help stiffen it, and squeeze the elbow into a straight line as you shove the wire in, and after that you kind of have to jerk it (kinda like when you play with your pecker) and the ribs of the elbow help to pull it through.

I've used CDT CL61a's, AudioQue/SoundQubed QC-HF6.5 components, and now I'm about to use SoundQubed's pro audios

It's easier to splice from the bose. How big of an amp are you using? I ran new wires to the speakers that are ran off my 4 channel, which are the front door speakers and the dash speakers. The back door speakers are still on the bose amp so I left it alone.

So with splicing from the Bose Amp, what location of wire would I splice from? I have a 1600.4 Planet Audio from a previous build. May be better to install a nice pair of component 6.5's up front and open the rear a bit to fit 6.5 mids?

You will need to see what colors are feeding the speakers. Look at the HU harness, those colors will be the same as the wires feeding the amp. If you were adding a converter, you could splice at the amp with those color wires. The wires going to the amp are different than the ones going to the speakers. You will have a set of wires for each speaker. Example if you have 6 speakers there will be twelve wires, that side is the side you want to splice from if you are adding an amp and not a converter. If you are too lazy or cheap or just don't give a fuck, if you have an amp that has the hi-lo converter built into it, you wouldn't need RCA's.

You will need to see what colors are feeding the speakers. Look at the HU harness, those colors will be the same as the wires feeding the amp. If you were adding a converter, you could splice at the amp with those color wires. The wires going to the amp are different than the ones going to the speakers. You will have a set of wires for each speaker. Example if you have 6 speakers there will be twelve wires, that side is the side you want to splice from if you are adding an amp and not a converter. If you are too lazy or cheap or just don't give a fuck, if you have an amp that has the hi-lo converter built into it, you wouldn't need RCA's.

I currently have a Sony HU with PAC Interface to keep Onstar and chime. So the stock harness that plugs into the Interface is what I'll be looking at for the speaker wire colors?

I currently have a Sony HU with PAC Interface to keep Onstar and chime. So the stock harness that plugs into the Interface is what I'll be looking at for the speaker wire colors?

no, the original factory wires going to that harness will be the same colors as the ones going to the amp. Those will be your signal wires. Use that as your way of finding out which side of the amp is input and which side of the amp is output. The output wires are the ones you want to splice if you don't want to run new wires.

Archived