Could it be my alternator?

The 240AMP alternator has close to no output at idle, your crank shaft pulley and alternator pulley diameter will determine what output you get at a certain RPM. A lot of companies put a pulley smaller than 2 inches on there to get the most output they possibly can at idle which could lead to possible belt slip issues as well because there just isn't enough tension on the alternator. A 180 amp alternator would perform better at idle than your 240 amp unit.

I know that now, but when i got it i was un aware of that. a little too late now :/

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

• 1 year later...

I have a system in my car that I've run with stock alt wit no problems of light dimming or engine slowing up I recently put in a 270 alt and now my lights dim and when I put the system up it makes my car engine sorta bog down is that something normal I was told that I needed a battery with high ah battery bank but would I need that for the same system that I had on stock he said that the high output alt would need more power to run or it can damage itself I just don't know I asked the guys at D.C. powering and they said not really unless I over power my alt which is the same system I had with my old alt my next system should fry the car then

Archived