Sundown Audio

Power acoustik 980-2 Amp repair... And possible upgrade?

James Gilk

Disclaimer:
So i purchased this amp used with instant protect mode for $20 at a pawnshop. so if i repair the output finals and they blow again im not out any large amount of money...

The amp is rated at i think 260 watts per channel @ 2 ♎ or 520 bridged at 2 ♎ which is higher output then the 340 watt kenwood i am currently running..

Upon inspection of the board and removal of the blown mosfets x3 (the middle one didnt blow nearly as spectacular as the ends but its fried as are the resistors)

I noticed the board is printed and drilled for a 4 mosfet final what advantage would it have to solder in the 4 th mosfet and associated components and if the existing output resistors are 100♎ 1/4 watt 5% what would i replace both output chanles with?

if i went form 6 mosfet final to an 8 mosfet final or would keeping it at the 100♎ resistors with the 4 mosfet final be fine? There wired in series?

If i need 300 ohm per channel should i replace them with with 75 ohm if i go 4 mosfet final?

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/jgilk1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150602_215624.jpg

Archived