Ive been searching on the internet for a while now, and kind of hate to interrupt a forum, but i need help with quite possibly the simplest question about box building there is.

I plan on buying 2 NVX VCW 122's or 152's in the next few weeks for a small setup that will lead into an ultimate setup of 4 15's next year, this is just a temporary, first time deal, I am designing a 4th order box based on multiple calculators on the web, and plenty of info just from these forums, (this seriously has been about a two month deal so far) anyways, I have approximately 17 cubes to fill, but based on manufacture suggestion on the 12's i should have.75cf sealed and 1.25 ported, im using 2 so, a total of 4cf is needed,

i can barely build a box small enough to hold the subs and achieve that volume and hold the subs and port, so, i wanted to know if going above manufacture specs is better and what possible ratio to use to go bigger, thanks so much in advance! im a big fan of these forums and i really am reading something on here at least 10 times a day!

thats what im doing now to some pioneers haha, ive actually been messing with the stuff for about a year now, and just got serious, thats why i want to try to do a decent small build myself before going big, this has been one of my favorite things iver ever picked up, ive learned a lot, specially in the past 2 months since ive got more serious, and half the info was from the people on here!

What do you mean the box wont be able to hold the subs and port?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

after i plugged the recommended cubic feet of the boxes into calculators it was always designing boxes that were too small to even hold the 12 or 15" woofers, i know these calculators are not perfect, but, its getting a little frustrating trying to design a box with them, the best luck ive had at designing something similar to what i think i want is the RE Box calculator, using specs ive found with other calculators, im just wondering, if its ok to go above recommended size, and if so, what are the rules of thumb to go by when doing so

No offense but it sounds like you need to have somebody do the design for you and you build it. I think you really confused on 4th order design.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

no offense taken haha, i should have pointed out i was using the RE calculator for the ported side only, and i have considered having someone design it for me, i talked to the guy at cherrywood customs, he said he would do it, i was hoping to take a shot at it myself though, and definitely learn as much about the craft as possible, even if someone else designs my first custom box,

I would grab a program like WinISD Alpha (Free and pretty damn good)

And do as much reading and watching videos on the yootoobs as possible. Read up on as many things about boxes and acoustics as you possible can. Then go and build a terrible first box that rips itself apart because you are a noobie at making things. Then start work on the real build with all you have learned.

That is how I did things.

Nothing teaches like mistakes.

If you leave it till the last minute, it will only take a minute.

Build Log - 4x12's Trunk Firing 6th

ive messed around with that program as well, and have been reading up, i enjoy learning it all, and i guess i will start with a crap box build on some 12's ive already got, good idea, cuz i dont want to destroy the 15's the first day i get them, i have a kicker thats still going strong i havent used in a while, i may try to build a 4th order around it this weekend and see how it goes

Archived