Mechman Alternators

Engine temp hotter with new mechman 320 billet unit....

Mechanical fans don't actually rob much power and are usually much better at keeping a car cool than retrofitted electric fans.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

may have been a thermostat issue, will update, just changed it and only drove a little bit (25 minutes) and it stayed very cool the entire time,even after pounding the bass, running a more watery coolant mixture also replaced coolant lost at thermostat change with only water

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

You should always do a full coolant flush when you do a thermostat swap, but that's your choice. If your alternator is truly heating up your upper radiator hose, then wrap it with heat warp or build a shield out of aluminum and put the gold heat tape on the alternator side of the shield.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

The engine is working harder to drive the alternator. It will heat up a little more, but shouldn't get past the thermostat temp. If it's a tuned engine, additional cooling upgrades might be required

-Nick

really? holy shit then i should remove mine

its going to work a bit harder but nothing noticeable. 15hp at best and that includes from the stock so maybe 5hp more than stock. the alt is not the issue. could be that you pay more attention to the gauges now that the new alt is in. or could be that the thermostat and water pump are giving out and you are thinking thats the cause.. im running the 370a and notice no cooling difference. heck, there are guys here with 2 alts even some with 4 and they have no cooling issues

Well he's running a 5.0 Mustang. It's a perfomance oriented car, without the greatest cooling system. It's reasonable to guess there could be a few parts on the engine as well. So please forgo the sarcasm as i'm actually trying to give some possible advise. Yeah, You can run 4 alternators on a SUV that is meant to tow and has a great cooling system. So just stop, and just try and give this guy good advise. Please leave the sarcasm out.

-Nick

The engine is working harder to drive the alternator. It will heat up a little more, but shouldn't get past the thermostat temp. If it's a tuned engine, additional cooling upgrades might be required

-Nick

really? holy shit then i should remove mine

its going to work a bit harder but nothing noticeable. 15hp at best and that includes from the stock so maybe 5hp more than stock. the alt is not the issue. could be that you pay more attention to the gauges now that the new alt is in. or could be that the thermostat and water pump are giving out and you are thinking thats the cause.. im running the 370a and notice no cooling difference. heck, there are guys here with 2 alts even some with 4 and they have no cooling issues

Well he's running a 5.0 Mustang. It's a perfomance oriented car, without the greatest cooling system. It's reasonable to guess there could be a few parts on the engine as well. So please forgo the sarcasm as i'm actually trying to give some possible advise. Yeah, You can run 4 alternators on a SUV that is meant to tow and has a great cooling system. So just stop, and just try and give this guy good advise. Please leave the sarcasm out.

-Nick

lmao..i happen to have a 96 impala SS that is oriented to high performance and also has one of the worst cooling and i have no issues.. i also have a 454 that is nothing close to being stock and also no heating issues with high out put alternators.. when i share my opinion there is experience behind it not just talk out of my ass.. now go back and let me know what other 5.0 you have worked on that would over heat by replacing the alternator.. by the way.. in 2002 i owned a 5.0 with aluminum intake holley carburetor and many performance stufff added to it and you know what was wrong with it? the water pump seals so yeah boy.. i have had experience with those cars

the alt might work harder but not hard enough to make a noticeable difference.. the car also has the power to spin it. its not like its a 2.4 that is going to struggle to spin it.. he also changed the thermostat and guess what? it fixed his issue. so in other words i was correct

Edited by Miguels
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

I've also seen them overheat in the lanes before a 1/4 mile run. Sounds great, I guess I figured proper maintenance was regularly performed on the vehicle in the first place.

Any extra load at idle and extra heat from the Alt has the potential to cause the cooling system to work harder

Glad the problem is resolved

-Nick

yea thermostat did the trick must have been gettn stuck at times, everything working decent droppin into mid- low 13s with this 5k hookd up, alternator not charging at idle though :(

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Kenwood excelon ddx795

McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

• 3 weeks later...

This thread can be deleted. it was a faulty thermostat

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl