Port area. what does it affect?

Output: Port area can only negatively effect your output. Once you have enough, adding more won't change anything, but if you don't have enough its going to decrease your output around tuning due to energy lost to air resistance and increased impedance from port compression.

Control: Not having enough port area will increase cone excursion around tuning (contrary to what some people believe).

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Output: Port area can only negatively effect your output. Once you have enough, adding more won't change anything, but if you don't have enough its going to decrease your output around tuning due to energy lost to air resistance and increased impedance from port compression.

Control: Not having enough port area will increase cone excursion around tuning (contrary to what some people believe).

what about cooling?

i dont really care about output so much... and i know i need more... to gain, but... cooling?

and control?

is to much area bad for control? or ?

Having more area will allow more air to flow in properly and more air exchanging more cooling.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

so there is no such thing as too much?

Only adjustments ive seen to port area......

on every forum, every build... is SHRINKING...

i may be the ONLY one that should open the vent.. and even then.. i bet my gain is dick........

im more worried about cooling, and control. Output... fuck... who cares...

In a perfect environment I don't think that you could have too much, you'll only use what is needed anyway, but not having enough the speakers will try and force enough to come in and out.

Air has to be moving, you put your hand next to it you feel it...

Air can compress which is known as acoustic compression when having too little.

However when you have a defined displacement with a defined velocity you must have the correct area to be able to move the volume being moved by the displacement.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I'm with you, I'm not worried about output, definitely not numbers. I build for my happiness, and that happiness would go away if the sub is damaged because it got too hot for too long or went past mechanical limits or something even on rated power.

Archived