Alternator Whine issue *figured out* UPDATE pg.11

it worked t

make sure everything is grounded at one point...amps, head unit etc. It is most convenient to run a ground wire from your amp(s)/rear battery to the front battery negative. This worked for me. I was in your same situation.

cool...

my 22 grounding points to one point...

check..

I didn't literally mean one point...I meant like ground everything in the front for instance instead of having some things grounded in the front and some in the back etc...

every car is different...but it worked on mine..no more noise

I dont have alt whine..... :unknw:

so.. some in the front? and some in the back?..

got ya

No...that is literally is the opposite of what I just said. I said try grounding things in just the front. Obviously, every car is different but I am just offering advice from my own personal experience in fixing a problem like this.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it worked t

make sure everything is grounded at one point...amps, head unit etc. It is most convenient to run a ground wire from your amp(s)/rear battery to the front battery negative. This worked for me. I was in your same situation.

cool...

check..

I didn't literally mean one point...I meant like ground everything in the front for instance instead of having some things grounded in the front and some in the back etc...

got ya

No...that is literally is the opposite of what I just said. I said try grounding things in just the front. Obviously, every car is different but I am just offering advice from my own personal experience in fixing a problem like this.

run everything to the front..

check..

11263062_929061533805943_314260224467248

it worked t

cool...

check..

got ya

run everything to the front..

check..

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m599/KyLar96/11263062_929061533805943_3142602244672483078_n_zps6cmx28gp.jpg

Problem solved. We have photographic evidence.

check..

I know everyone situation is different but I just recently picked up a bad alternator whine, kicked my ass looking for what was going on! Then my front channel went out on one of my amps. The whine went away, don't know if the whine started cause something failing in one of my amps and back feeding to my HU but its gone now! Hope you find it and it ain't an amp going bad like mine was!

No its a Sony MEX-BT4100P.

@deathcards - the fuse on the back of the HU is good. Is that the one you are referring to?

@reedal - I will try that tomorrow.

@ Side Show I will see if that is the case as well.

As far as my grounds for the amp I have two negative runs of 1/0 going to the back for the amp. I know its not an amp grounding issue because when the iPod is plugged directly into the amp there is no noise which leads me to believe its coming from "upstream" or the HU side. Thanks for the help guys, I will be doing more work on it tomorrow to see if I cant get this figured out.

Also N8, no rusty nails in my future.....hopefully :good:

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

My dad left his car at home this week and he has the exact same radio as I do so I swapped them to see if it was a problem with the HU. Got everything switched over and the alt whine was still there. The only thing it could be now is a HU ground issue, right? Im about to go out and put a new ground behind the HU here in a second.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

I woke up early to get a start on the car and to try and beat the heat. This is what I have tried so far;

-Found a ground behind the HU and added a ground from the HU to that --whine still there

-I did the stripped wire around the RCA inputs --whine still there

-Unplugged the alternator and started the car- whine was gone (does this mean it is alt whine?)

Im getting some water but then im going back out and see if I unplug one set of RCA that is going into the amp if it stops then and it maybe being a bad channel.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

I've found with most alt whine, it goes away once one set of rca's are removed from a four channel amp with two sets of rca's going into it.

Would I just need to get some Y splitters then if that is the case?

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400