Alternator Whine issue *figured out* UPDATE pg.11

Okay guys, I just got an email back from Crescendo and they said that they found burnt FET's on the output side of the amp. They said that probable causes of this include shorted speaker wires or blown/blowing speakers. I haven't blown the PWX's and when I hooked up my friends amp there was no noise which makes me think that my speaker wires are not the issue as well. Any ideas what happened?

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With so many of their amps having that same issue lately from all of the threads with "alt whine" or floor noise that are using crescendo amps, I don't think it's user error. Maybe sometimes, but not every situation. They have something else going on with those fets. Just my opinion.

Thats what im thinking. Im going to get my DMM and check the resistance of all my speaker wire and make sure they read 8ohm just to make sure a wire isnt grounding out.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

I still get noise out of my 1100.4, funny thing is sometimes it completely goes away. A few months ago i disconnected my sub amp so i could install some fans, and the noise was completely gone when i played without it. I'm still trying to figure this out myself, but i can live with it also..its not to bad.

If the wine was really slight then I could live with it but it was too loud. I guess it's just an issue with their new line of AB amps, I don't really know enough about internals and such to say for sure though. I had my MB Quart 800.4 in with no problems and all I did was swap out amps and that's when the noise came in.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

Jon from Crescendo just emailed me back. He said it would cost $48 to fix the burnt FET's and would take a few weeks. He did say though to expedite the situation if I paid to hae it fixed and shipping he would just send me a new amp.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400

Nice. I just went to the shop for more of a clutch/transmission repair. I told them my car wasn't starting how it's supposed to(but it will start). They said my starter wasn't hooked up right. My friend was sayin that when they reroute my power cables to my batteries, the noise might go away. But I doubt it

Archived