[PLAYING!] 2 RE SX 18s on 2 RF T1500s 16 cube walled Saturn

Fuck all that angle stuff nice work man

Thanks, it's a pain in the ass getting those angles sanded right, literally about 3 hours per panel.

That looks huge and you are good with cutting those pain in the as angles haha what 18s are you putting in?

Shit I shoulda put a spec list huh? Haha I'm putting in an older set of RE SX 18s.

great looking shell...

US Composite order time...

I would layer mat on every joint...7-10 layers of 3oz

I run no bracing, not all thread, but a fuck load of glass on the seams...... shits doing me ok as of late.

I talked to some shops locally and they recommended 10oz mat, didn't know if a couple layers of that stuff would do the trick or if lots of layers of thin mat would be preferable. I definitely wanna do some bracing though.

heavy on straight seems will do you fine...

i just chose to layer up...... but i like your thinking...for sure

Thanks dude, I'm gonna see if any local suppliers have that heavy of mat otherwise I'll probably follow in the footsteps of many before me and get in contact with US Composite or maybe TAP Plastics. That UV drying resin looks pretty dope

Tons more pics on the way, I took pictures as I went on the rest of the build, so they'll be up in a few hours, gotta upload some 75 images to photobucket to use in posts. I'll just drop some here and there to give you guys something to look at haha

Figured I'd give you guys a little something to look at while I'm busy for the next few days. Not much progress is gonna be made on the box but should resume again on tuesday. Until then, I figured this would keep the post on the upper end of the list of build logs haha.

First thing's first, here's some pics of the car itself!

IMAG0414_zpsdym7hyjc.jpg

Will be painted matte white after the build is finished

IMAG0415_zpsrswvzyxq.jpg

"Tinted" tail-lamps (VHT Nightshades)

IMAG0416_zpsatkqfumu.jpg

5% Rear glass, 35% in the doors front and rear, considering getting the rear doors done in 5% too just to have as little of the box visible as possible from the outside. (Also seen people such as steve use plasti-dip. Input on that?)

IMAG1494_zpsxoxlxkkz.jpg

When going to install the sound deadening, found a "small" problem. It seemed like the end of the world at the time but mind you this was before I knew much about fabricating and how simple it would actually turn out to be. Front driver's side, rear driver's side, and rear passenger's side floorboards were all about as rusty as this one.

IMAG1491_zpsaqevutw3.jpg

Easily poked through! With the help of a pencil that is, which is still about as bad haha.

IMG_20141018_162207_zps5zdsukm9.jpg

Cutting out the driver's side floor.

IMG_20141025_223401_zps0zvrac1n.jpg

All the cancer that got cut out

IMG_20141103_150312_zpsbqji7e4e.jpg

Driver's side rivited, spot welded, and sealed in

IMG_20141103_150231_zps7jsdota5.jpg

Rear driver's side only rivited, didn't have my buddy's welder on hand. Still stronger than rot!

IMG_20141103_150405_zpsvyugs47w.jpg

Rear passenger side, fixed in with my buddy's help the first day and later finished by myself.

IMG_20141104_124259_zpsedo5hgfu.jpg

Painted top-side, rubberized underneath, and stronger than they were from the factory!

Thanks for looking and please stay tuned in for more updates! I have a lot of pictures from my build as I've chronicled most of it along the way.

UPDATE TIME! :clapping:

Figured I'd give this post a bit of a bump, here's the work I did on my door pods. I went with separate pods because at the time I didn't really know about doing entire door panels.

I started with laying down fiberglass chop mat onto the door with a plastic bag separating the glass and the bare door panel. A couple layers later, got a design for the baffle and went agead and attached it, raising it up with some spare wood laying around in the garage.

IMAG1395_zpsrbgrn7oz.jpg

A top-down view of the skeleton

IMAG1398_zpswv30urz2.jpg

Wrapped and stapled fleece around them to give them the shape they'll have and they looked pretty slick. The one thing i didn't consider was the other interior panel's size so adjusting had to be done.

IMAG1402_zpsunqassxe.jpg

Laying down some fiberglass. Hindsight 20/20, Not all of the air bubbles were worked out so it might not be as structural as it could be but hey, you live and learn.

IMAG1405_zpsizn3yrj7.jpg

And here we go with the Bondo. I didn't feel like going with any Gold grade body fillers because I already had a fair bit of this laying around so I figured I'd use what I have.

IMAG1417_zpseqt6vawk.jpg

I Decided to try an experiment where I'd do a layer of resin over the bondo to see if it would help level some things out. It did to a degree but not enough to waste more trying the same thing again.

IMAG1425_zpswcdm7wtg.jpg

Got the holes rough-cut and you can see my fosgate P165s sit nicely and look pretty snazzy with the grille on them.

IMAG1431_zpsvsizr6e8.jpg

Bondo bondo bondo

IMAG1433_zps6aszisp1.jpg

Decided it was time to stop with the little stuff and lay that sh*t on real thick!

IMAG1435_zpsfqsageu9.jpg

Getting the duck-tail its shape

IMAG1438_zps5ruxhum0.jpg

The rougher they look, the smoother they feel haha. Also I didn't worry too much about smothing the bottom (the close edge with no bondo) because of how low these pods will sit, you'll never see them anyway.

IMAG1439_zpscvxoiwdm.jpg

Sprayed on some sandable primer to check if they are level by sanding. In high spots paint disappears, low spots stay painted.

IMAG1444_zpsonefbjnv.jpg

Getting pretty damn smooth

IMAG1445_zpszc2fds97.jpg

Mocked it up on the door and you can guess how excited I was!

IMAG1446_zpsmxm1ni7g.jpg

Wasnt happy enough with them soooo more sanding haha

IMAG1453_zpsewzo9x4n.jpg

Finally happy enough with how smooth they were I deceded to go with a white vinyl to wrap. Used Landau Top Contact Adhesive from DAP and it stuck great!

IMAG1470_zpsrilnffd8.jpg

Passenger-side door panel

IMAG1512_zpszgoqihpt.jpg

Driver's side door pod mounted!

IMAG1513_zpsdlrzuqs7.jpg

And then wrapped the door panels in black 4-way stretch vinyl. it turned out to look pretty snazzy. Oh and you can see my little tweets mounted above the white trim on there.

IMAG0182_zpsmqvcw9cl.jpg

I'll be posting box updates once the second layer is finished, I'm taking pictures as I go but honestly, the progress doesn't look like much when you're photographing it. "Oh gee, here's one more panel, post a picture of the next panel tomorrow" If you want that, I can post daily updates haha otherwise it'll come in huge chunks like this.

Looks good man, nice work and that two tone door pattern is pimp.

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Looks good man, glad you have some ideas for adding strength to the shell. I like your willingness to just dig in there and do whatev!!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived