[PLAYING!] 2 RE SX 18s on 2 RF T1500s 16 cube walled Saturn

Sorry for being so neglectful about posting updates, I've been busy just trying to get this bad boy done and it's coming along great! Still a fair bit of work to do for finishing and getting the roof sorted out (you'll see what I mean later on) but here's where we're at fellas!

IMAG0564_zpsm5ylphul.jpg

A little package with big potential from US Composites!

IMAG0572_zpsbvnemmob.jpg

The start of my 1 1/4" Pipe bracings. Went through a whole day of headaches just GETTING the materials which I don't particularly want to recount but here they are!

IMAG0573_zpsirgvyji8.jpg

Lookin pretty good so far!

IMAG0574_zpsxaigjiao.jpg

One of the flanges that was less marred than some of the others.

IMAG0575_zpsgheiqvb2.jpg

Due to the fact that NPT Flanges taper at the end, these were a HUGE hassle to get to thread through because I didn't compensate for the thickness of the flange when sorting the length of the pipes.

IMAG0577_zpsl9wrmolk.jpg

With the use of an old jack handle for leverage, penetrating lubricant, and about three hours of dripping in sweat they finally decided to go together. 88 Degrees plus 90% humidity stunted progress slightly.

IMAG0579_zpsjbgztff9.jpg

The triplets are all together... well for now anyhow. Due to some short-sightedness only two made it into the box. STILL very strong though!

IMAG0582_zpsfney9glw.jpg

Wonder where all this humidity is coming from...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for splitting the post, that was an accident D: anyhow, continuing on!

IMAG0588_zpstuxkm6sy.jpg

Rounded the back of the baffle. SHOULD look familiar to SOMEONE following this build *cough cough*

IMAG0589_zpsmwxg7isd.jpg

Mmm rounded goodness...

IMAG0590_zpstmbxubro.jpg

Rounded the back of the port

IMAG0591_zpsowg8dbfy.jpg

I think I'm addicted to roundovers.

IMAG0592_zpsdsm7ihmr.jpg

Mocked up. Getting a tingly feeling in my loins

IMAG0599_zps6drys8y8.jpg

Made my brackets to mount the top and bottom of the port and the baffle. #gotbeef?

IMAG0602_zpsid0kwqxq.jpg

Last mock-up before it's in the car!

IMAG0606_zpsxf8cmvqz.jpg

Port PL'd in place and lag bolted in!

IMAG0607_zpsg3f7yx9r.jpg

Supports are bolted in and it's solid as a rock!

IMAG0609_zpsuaz06ntd.jpg

IMAG0611_zpsiyafdlbm.jpg

Lag-bolted in across the top and PL'd

IMAG0615_zps1upz5qxa.jpg

Ready to seal and wire it up!\

IMAG0617_zpsfejnqhei.jpg

Smoothed over the entrance to the port, still not sanded but there's still a TON of finishing work to do anyhow sooooooo yeah.

IMAG0618_zpsvao5fycc.jpg

glassed the bottom corners

IMAG0620_zpsrx412gzr.jpg

Kinda miffed about the bubbles in the glassing but it's ok, it's not exactly the structural part there. It's primarily for sealing it up.

IMAG0624_zpsbfwvfy4j.jpg

3/8 all thread terminals done

IMAG0626_zpswczhuozb.jpg

and wired up in the trunk!

IMAG0630_zpsv8psy6rl.jpg

forgot to take more pictures along the way but here she sits! 2" long 1/4 inch lag-bolts holding the subs in there, 8 ga speaker wire running from the subs to the terminals and she's playing!

IMAG0632_zps8lcjweub.jpg

The twins are finally home! :D

IMAG0633_zpsoohaqpto.jpg

Aaaaaand they're already proving my roof to be too weak so I'm mending that as soon as my cash flow permits! Videos will be recorded after it gets tuned tuesday and the gains are all set!

Damn, no love here huh... System just got tuned the other day and it's pretty dope, subs still aren't even broken in, looking to hit a few shows in the up-coming weeks. I'll try to get some decent vids recorded tomorrow before work but probably won't be uploaded till after.

Damn, no love here huh... System just got tuned the other day and it's pretty dope, subs still aren't even broken in, looking to hit a few shows in the up-coming weeks. I'll try to get some decent vids recorded tomorrow before work but probably won't be uploaded till after.

I'm sure if you posted a video or two you'd get plenty of love! :yahoo:

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

So I went to my second a car audio show and was able to bring my car along and metered a pretty decent score:

11800588_1189043234455398_53224201524885

That was at the dash with the roof flexing like a S.O.B. but I'm currently solving that problem at the moment. I really pushed those RE's hard and I won't usually play them as hard as I was because they were getting REAL hot so I'm currently looking into some upgraded options for this setup. It won't be for a long while yet because of funding. Debating between sticking with RE and going with their MT series (30mm xmax 1500 Watt RMS) or switching to sundown and their ZV4s (35mm xmax 1750 Watt RMS). Both are in the same price range, similar power handling, similar xmax rating but some input would be much appreciated. Oh and here's the video that I made the other day for you guys!

I love this build, my daily is the same car but auto. Im running 6 hds208 8"s on 5k and seeing your doors gave me a good cheat sheet. Good work!

Be mindful of how high up your door pods go, I didn't pay attention and had to modify the trim that attaches to the door panel by bending it to conform to the pod, so make sure yours only comes up as high as the trim. Also, key things to lay deadener on are the rods inside the door that control the lock and door latch, the entire metal skin, and a few pieces along the window regulator that tend to resonate. Not ENTIRELY necessary if you do pods like I did that are isolated from the elements but if yours are using the inside of the door as a bass chamber, I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise just the rods, the door panel itself, and the exterior skin to reduce flex.

Archived